Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats so great about the M&P?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Whats so great about the M&P?

I am an M&P owner and official Kool-Aid drinker. I get asked all the time why I feel that the M&P is superior to the Glock. My usual response is not that it is not better, but rather that it has some improvements that I felt were good for the Glock "platform". For example, the stainless slide, REAL sights, interchangeable back strap, and ergonomics that fit most any hand. I know that we have a lot of M&P supporters on this site, so my question to you is "What is so great about the M&P?". Why have you picked this as your gun? How do you respond to the question "Why is the M&P better than a Glock?
    Last edited by mattpittinger; 08-04-09 at 14:14.
    Find what it is in life that you do not do well......and do not do that thing....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't know if its better, per se. But you touched on all the reasons I like them more. That, and its more left hander friendly. My hands just don't fit the Glock finger grooves by any stretch of the imagination.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am one that has come down from the kool aide high of the M&P. They are more mechanically accurate than Glocks. The main advantage is the incorporation of the chassis inside the frame and the improved and drop free magazine.

However, the trigger is worse, the rear sight holds in some important parts (and has to be removed to service them). In my opinion, the mag catch will have to prove itself over the same life span of a Glock - it just doesn't strike me as robust or wear resistant.

M_P
    Last edited by Business_Casual; 08-04-09 at 14:04. Reason: clean up

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_pirate View Post

OT - why does everyone with less than 100 posts feel compelled to tell us that they don't like the grip angle and/or the finger grooves on Glocks? Does anyone care or does that somehow add to the debate?

M_P
    I have beat that horse into the ground over and over again. You never see service members crying about the grip angle of the M9 because it is the gun they are issued. They adapt and overcome. I laugh when I present a reliable gun and a proven unreliable gun (not talking about the M&P) and the individual picks the unreliable gun because it feels like pillows in their hands. It's a tool gents, not furniture.
    Luke 2:14
    USMC 03-08

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I guess I'm not clear on the issue.

If I'm paying money for a personal use firearm, I want the grip to be comfortable. Its obviously a personal thing since the grooves fit some hands better than others. While not the most important thing to look for, its still a factor.

Duty guns are an entirely different matter altogether.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Let's stay on topic and not let this become an argument because of what I said. I apologize to all.

M_P

ToddG Guest
    I'm dumbfounded by people who argue that ergonomic options like replaceable backstraps, grip panels, etc. are bad. Look at how many people get grip reductions on their Glocks ... clue.

If a Glock works well for you -- and it obviously works very well for many people -- then great. But you're burying your head in the sand if you cannot admit that there are also people for whom the Glock grip simply does not fit well. It's not an accident that just about every polymer handgun design in the past decade has incorporated adjustable grips of some sort.

To answer the OP, the main differences I see with the M&P that are used as sales points over the Glock:

• adjustable grip ergonomics
    • reduced recoil (especially in .40 S&W & 357 versions)
    • better mechanical accuracy on average
    • all-steel chassis
    • no need to pull trigger during takedown procedure
    • made in the USA
    • availability of mag disconnect and thumb safety variants
    • all-metal magazines

Whether these specific differences will be seen as improvements by any particular purchaser, of course, is going to vary from person to person. But the rate at which the M&P has spread into the LE market is certainly telling compared to any other handgun design since the Glock.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    I've owned a Glock 17, 19 and m&p 9 full size and I loved the m&p's ergonomics the best. My only complaint about the m&p was the trigger because it had a longer reset than the glocks and felt heavier.

If it had a better trigger I would be all over one again.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The trigger is the biggest complaint I have with the M&P in its stock configuration. Todd's gun fixes that issue. Why S&W won't make that the standard configuration I do not know.

They'd sell more guns.

As to the rest, what Todd said. Once you get the trigger dealt with, the M&P is an exceptionally easy weapon to shoot and to run efficiently. It doesn't chop me up like a Glock does and I can configure it to best suit my needs pretty easily rather than just having to deal with it. I was messing with a few of my guns last night comparing them to my M&P and frankly none of them fits as well or is as easy to do weapon manipulations with as my M&P.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 08-04-09 at 16:53.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattpittinger View Post
    How do you respond to the question "Why is the M&P better than a Glock?
    In line with what Todd says, I'd be shooting a Glock if the .45 variants fit my hands; too fat + grip angle issues = I don't shoot them well. Even bearing in mind that I'm not overjoyed with how my hands fit them, if I could shoot them better than anything else, I'd own one.

That said, when asked, I don't have anything bad to say about Glock/XD/M&P, but that I've tried them all and found that I was more accurate with the M&P .45 (so far as THAT goes ), and more comfortably, than with any of the others. Now that I have a choice of what sidearm to use, I went with what works best for me, and not for the middle of the bell curve of the military population.

All references I may make to cons/limitations/problems are all couched in terms of the relationship between the platform and my ability to shoot it with reasonable accuracy, reasonable comfort, and what I define as my view of resonable cost (.45 usually ain't cheap, but I'm still only buying 2 calibers between 2 pistols and what will be 2 rifles, eventually).

There's tons of places in the N. VA area for folks to rent handguns and shoot them, and I tell those that ask that they don't have a hair on their ass if they don't try out 5 or 6 different handguns and figure it out for themselves. Maybe 2 of 10 actually take that tack, because people in our instant-gratification society are generally too mentally lazy to differentiate between informed guidance and recommendation.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast