Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats so great about the M&P?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I would like to see Smith give the option to get the "Pro" trigger as in my M&P 9mm Pro. Great trigger, reset and sights. I am very impressed with that gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by High Tower View Post
    I guess I'm not clear on the issue.

If I'm paying money for a personal use firearm, I want the grip to be comfortable. Its obviously a personal thing since the grooves fit some hands better than others. While not the most important thing to look for, its still a factor.

Duty guns are an entirely different matter altogether.
    You see, in your case it may not be the most important matter, but for 99.999999% of the customers I have dealt with that is ALL that mattered with them. (I used to work at a gun store)
    Luke 2:14
    USMC 03-08

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I'm dumbfounded by people who argue that ergonomic options like replaceable backstraps, grip panels, etc. are bad. Look at how many people get grip reductions on their Glocks ... clue.

If a Glock works well for you -- and it obviously works very well for many people -- then great. But you're burying your head in the sand if you cannot admit that there are also people for whom the Glock grip simply does not fit well. It's not an accident that just about every polymer handgun design in the past decade has incorporated adjustable grips of some sort.

Whether these specific differences will be seen as improvements by any particular purchaser, of course, is going to vary from person to person. But the rate at which the M&P has spread into the LE market is certainly telling compared to any other handgun design since the Glock.
    I'm going to guess you were speaking of me. I never said that these were bad options, the only point I was trying to make is that SOOO many shooters discredit the Glock because of grip angle/finger grooves etc. I have even had shooters do it while I was clearing their malfunctioning weapon.

The M&P is a great design, there really isn't anything about it that I don't like. I do enjoy the backstraps and I do think it feels great in my hands. The only reason I don't own one now is because I am a full-time student and can't afford one at the moment. So please don't take my earlier comments as pot-shots at the M&P line.
    Luke 2:14
    USMC 03-08

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I know where you're coming from - I'm a manager at a shop back home. And I agree with you. The Taurus comes to mind in this particular instance. Still in all, the last Glock I bought was a Gen 2 entirely because of the grip issue. Mostly because I have ogre hands.

I'm not trying to knock the Glock; I just think the M&P has a few better features.

Feedback Score
    A set of Wolff springs, a trigger sear polish job, a set of Novak adjustable fiber optic sights, and a 5" Storm Lake compensated competition barrel works for me.

A week ago I was practicing double taps for USPSA shooting and pumped a number of identical side by side figure-eights into the paper at 7 yards. It's a workhorse, accurate, ergonomic, and configurable.

Now if I could only be as accurate during a USPSA match...maybe I need Todd's class.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pleaforwar View Post
    I'm going to guess you were speaking of me.
    Nope, not pointing out anyone in particular. The "only sissies need adjustable grips" whine is pretty common among some folks and like I said, I just don't get it.

Feedback Score
    * the steel chassis is brilliant

* interchangeable backstraps (nice feature for service pistols)

* more well thought out in .40 S&W

* actual MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rail interface

* IMO, better sights

* IMO, metal mags, although GLOCK mags are amazing

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I would like to see Smith give the option to get the "Pro" trigger as in my M&P 9mm Pro. Great trigger, reset and sights. I am very impressed with that gun.
    Doesn't the M&P Pro come with the Pro trigger?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_pirate View Post
    I am one that has come down from the kool aide high of the M&P. They are more mechanically accurate than Glocks. The main advantage is the incorporation of the chassis inside the frame and the improved and drop free magazine.

However, the factory trigger is worse, the rear sight holds in some important parts (and has to be removed to service them). In my opinion, the mag catch will have to prove itself over the same life span of a Glock - it just doesn't strike me as robust or wear resistant.

M_P
    Fixed it for you.

My M&Ps are just as reliable if not more reliable than my Glocks. Factory trigger vs. tuned Pro trigger w/shortened reset and the Pro smokes the Glock even ones with a shortened reset and 3.5lb connector. The Glock is easier to repair as parts availability is better with the Glock as it should be since the Glock has been on the US market since the 1980s. A shot timer says I shoot a M&P faster and more accurately than a Glock. The timer doesn't lie.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    The trigger is the biggest complaint I have with the M&P in its stock configuration.
    Exactly, but after shooting the piss out of them, I've gotten quite used to them.

Why S&W won't make that the standard configuration I do not know.They'd sell more guns.
    Preach it brother!

As to the rest, what Todd said. Once you get the trigger dealt with, the M&P is an exceptionally easy weapon to shoot and to run efficiently. It doesn't chop me up like a Glock does and I can configure it to best suit my needs pretty easily rather than just having to deal with it. I was messing with a few of my guns last night comparing them to my M&P and frankly none of them fits as well or is as easy to do weapon manipulations with as my M&P.
    Could not agree more.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast