Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealable OWB plain clothes duty holster

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Concealable OWB plain clothes duty holster

I'm looking for recommendations on a concealable duty holster for plainclothes wear. I'd prefer a retention style holster and have looked at a level 2 safariland and a blackhawk serpa. Any comments/opinions on these two as far as performance of the retention mechanism as well as concealability of the holster under a light jacket or suit? Also feel free to add any other suggestions. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by givo08 View Post
    I'm looking for recommendations on a concealable duty holster for plainclothes wear. I'd prefer a retention style holster and have looked at a level 2 safariland and a blackhawk serpa. Any comments/opinions on these two as far as performance of the retention mechanism as well as concealability of the holster under a light jacket or suit? Also feel free to add any other suggestions. Thanks!
    Do us proud: Get a concealable holster for your plainclothes assignment. Depart from the LE norm, and actually conceal it.

Recommend you pass on all things Serpa. Read previous threads on the topic via the search function.

As you shop options... Consider what uniform duty holster you use, how much muscle memory and competency you have established with it, and how your concealment gear may diverge from it and create conflict. Many find that a simple level-1 holster requiring only a positive draw meets their needs, without any divergent deployment methods or muscle memory.

If you want a level 2, remaining devoid of said conflicts, take a look at the Sure-Lock offerings from Holster Plus. The retention latch is disengaged through gripping the gun. High quality kydex (100) and excellent build quality. Recommended. http://www.holstersplus.com/Products.aspx?CAT=40

Feedback Score
    I've been eyeballing the Bianchi paddle lock, and snap lock models. This is the one with the small lever on the rear (would be right where you middle finger grips the weapon) so that when you grap the gun, your middle finger disengages the lock. They have one that is a paddle style, one that has belt loops that snap around your belt for easy removal without removing belt, and they have a standard style with belt slots. I've played with them a bit, but haven't owned one, so I can't comment any further than they seem pretty nice to me.

Feedback Score
    Hello,

You might find some useful info & ideas via. the following link, check out post #5.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35102
    Last edited by Bob Reed; 08-05-09 at 08:10.
    Gun-control is created by scum-tyrants, enforced by oath-breakers and supported by fools that's too ignorant to understand the Importance of being Armed.

When America was a "free country", people could mail order machine guns without question - and that's how it should still be.

I'd rather beat a bad guy to death with my Browning Hi-Power, than shoot him dead with a 'plastic' pistol.

If your path demands you to walk through Hell, walk like you own the place.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would recommend trying the paddle lock before you buy it. Ihave one for the 1911 and its pretty annoying. After taking a Pincus class with it, it sits in the box now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by High Tower View Post
    I would recommend trying the paddle lock before you buy it. Ihave one for the 1911 and its pretty annoying. After taking a Pincus class with it, it sits in the box now.
    You are not alone in that regard. Serious practice and experience usually quell most folks desire for that particular holster.
    Avatar = Comparison between standard and high capacity clips.

Feedback Score
    I like Safariland products, they have several types to choose from. I use the same model as the FBI, I don't remember the model number. I have used many holsters before but I've gone completely to Safariland for concealment, not for competion, but concealment. They can be had for a very good price, mine was $50, and require no break in. The ones I have have performed very well.

The Serpa is defnitely not for concealment, at least mine wasn't. It stood wide off the belt, I couldn't conceal it under anything but the heaviest of winter coats. I don't really like the retention system very well either. There is more info around here on this if you want to look father into it.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Currently for off duty and plain clothes I use a serpa. I find it conceals just fine under an unbuttoned shirt, a hawaiian or guayaberashirt that is about one size too big. Also, if the weather permits wearing a good sport coat will work with it as well. If you are wearing a vest (and I hope you do) you will have to get your shirts and sport coats a bit bigger anyway.

If the serpa doesn't float your boat, the new ALS holsters from Safariland aren't bad. I found that with a little bit of practice they were fairly easy to use, although they are a bit bigger then the serpa offerings.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    I use an ALS from Safariland and like it. Make sure you practice with it. Works good under a jacket or sweatshirt.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    You are not alone in that regard. Serious practice and experience usually quell most folks desire for that particular holster.
    i had my fobus paddle come off my pants with the gun one too many times... i prefer something that is actually attached to the belt now...
    granted i never considered the fobus to be a real serious holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast