Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barnes bullet selection for .223 rifles.

Feedback Score

Barnes bullet selection for .223 rifles.

There are several offerings for rounds loaded with various Barnes all copper bullets. The bullets weigh 53, 55, 62 and 60 grains. Which loads perform best? I read the sticky threads but did not see any information which would indicate which grain weight bullet to select. All of my rifles have 1-7" twist.

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Any should be fine. What are you shooting or plan to shoot? I'm loading 70gr. Barnes TSX and 55gr. RRLP in my handloads.
    Last edited by Romad; 08-07-09 at 12:34.

Feedback Score
    Specifically I am interested in which performs best through intermediate barriers, specifically laminated glass, and which provides the best terminal performance.

Feedback Score
    I like the 55 gr.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I like the 55 gr.
    Why do you prefer that weight vs. the 62s?

Feedback Score
    It offers good penetration and terminal performance, is accurate out of barrels with most twist rates, and works well in short barrels.

Feedback Score
    I'll admit that my brain's a bit sluggish today, but why might a 55 grain bullet perform better than a 62 grain one? Is it the speed difference?

-B
    Last edited by BAC; 08-10-09 at 20:02.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    It offers good penetration and terminal performance, is accurate out of barrels with most twist rates, and works well in short barrels.
    Got it, thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I'll admit that my brain's a bit sluggish today, but why might a 55 grain bullet perform better than a 62 grain one? Is it the speed difference?

-B
    This bullet doesn't fragment, it expands. In a fragmenting bullet, the extra mass of the projectile creates more fragments. In an expanding bullet, the extra mass doesn't really help and creates more barrel twist rate dependencies as the all-copper Barnes bullet is quite long. Some 1:9 barrels might have problems with the 62gr, and will definitely be borderline with the 70gr.

Feedback Score
    I was surprised when a 70gr TSX lost 3 of its 4 petals when fired into water. It was going 2939fps out of my 20" AR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast