Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Better performance with under stabilized 75-77gr?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Better performance with under stabilized 75-77gr?

At home defense ranges <25yds, would a 75+gr round be more effective out of a 1:9 or even a 1:12 barrel than the 1:7?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    No.
    Then again, what is your definintion of "effective"?
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    what is your definintion of "effective"?
    damage, trauma, stopping the aggressor faster.

Edited to add that I wasn't asking about or expecting phenominal increase just wondering if there would be ANY increase however small.
    Last edited by williamN; 07-12-09 at 08:35.

Feedback Score
    It is possible that a projectile at higher yaw angle due to poor stabilization could create a more severe wound--however, the effect is not predictable or reliable. In addition, accuracy is substantially reduced. Most folks doing CQB desire accuracy, predictability, and reliability--poorly stabilized bullets offer NONE of those characteristics...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    It is possible that a projectile at higher yaw angle due to poor stabilization could create a more severe wound--however, the effect is not predictable or reliable. In addition, accuracy is substantially reduced. Most folks doing CQB desire accuracy, predictability, and reliability--poorly stabilized bullets offer NONE of those characteristics...
    How (in)accurate would a 75gr bullet be at home defense ranges ( less than 25yds, any more than that and you will probably be looking at murder charges) out of a bore with a twist rate of 1:9 or 1:12? The only time I shot a 75gr in a 1:9 I was getting less than 1.5" @ 100yds. Even if my rifle was shooting 4X better than average that still means a 1.5 or less at HD ranges.

Feedback Score
    Depends on the rifle, load, etc...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think William you are looking for a solution when there is no problem. The key of effective fire is location,location and location. Put your bullet where it needs to go and the rest is gravy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    I think William you are looking for a solution when there is no problem. The key of effective fire is location,location and location. Put your bullet where it needs to go and the rest is gravy.
    Just a curiousity question. Not looking to try to make a bullet unstable.

I remembered reading of how the Mujahideen feared the unstable ( once it hit flesh due to design) Soviet 5.45 round from first hand experience. Just made me wonder.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by williamN View Post
    Just a curiousity question. Not looking to try to make a bullet unstable.

I remembered reading of how the Mujahideen feared the unstable ( once it hit flesh due to design) Soviet 5.45 round from first hand experience. Just made me wonder.
    Look at the assault rifle chart looks to me as if the 5.56 does better than the 5.45x39 does with out trying to destabilize it . https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19937

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    Look at the assault rifle chart looks to me as if the 5.56 does better than the 5.45x39 does with out trying to destabilize it . https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19937
    Interesting. Thanks..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast