Page 42 of 64 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Radio Communications

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    It really depends greatly on what you want to accomplish (range/distance, features, etc.)

If you don't already have a Baofeng, I highly recommend one for getting your beak wet. You can even use them for digital operation to send data, messages, etc.

It is an excellent starter radio for getting a feel for it.

Are you in a metro area or rural?. That will have a huge part to play as well if you intend to use repeaters.

Direct tasks/goals regarding communications are important, because there's really no one-stop solution.

The best example I could give is that you're not going to take a 1500m shot with a .45 pistol; you're not going to use a .338 Lapua for squirrel hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelowrey View Post
    Well, I would say I'll take a recommendation on each category of them, since am already looking for good radios. For a bad I never found a good option. But for the mobile I read a while back that most people recommend the kenwood tm-281 (hopefully this is till a good one) but for the handheld like you said there is so many options and standards that I am honestly confused. I am looking for something that would work with most radio and the main interest in Ham. Thank you again.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 11-02-15 at 12:02.

Feedback Score
    i recently went elk hunting for 9 days and 8 of us used the garmin rinos to communicate because of the integrated GPS mapping etc.

the latter was pretty awesome but the actual comms part was not so great. it worked ok, at short ranges, but i would really love to have the garmin functionality on the ham bands with more watts. anybody know of a product like that?

the product i bought was a 650T and all the free topo and trail maps that are available make it pretty fantastic.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Absolutely.

Icom and Yaesu offer several different versions equipped with on-board GPS.

That being said, the functionality of the GPS on these units is more in-line with a Garmin eTrex or Foretrex.

Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    i recently went elk hunting for 9 days and 8 of us used the garmin rinos to communicate because of the integrated GPS mapping etc.

the latter was pretty awesome but the actual comms part was not so great. it worked ok, at short ranges, but i would really love to have the garmin functionality on the ham bands with more watts. anybody know of a product like that?

the product i bought was a 650T and all the free topo and trail maps that are available make it pretty fantastic.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Pretty cool chart I stumbled on.

http://www.nathanson.org/davesays/wp...MPLETE2011.pdf

Just listen and follow chart, when the sequence ends that's the letter/number you are on.

dit dit dit dah dah = 3
    dah dit dit dah = x

etc.

Here is something else....
    https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/201...ther-business/

and this...

http://npstc.org/documents/NIFOG%20v1.2%204-14-2008.pdf
    Last edited by tb-av; 11-13-15 at 19:18.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    The NIFOG publication is a treasure trove of information.

Your state emergency agency will most likely have a similar version as well.

Thanks for putting those links up.

Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Pretty cool chart I stumbled on.

http://www.nathanson.org/davesays/wp...MPLETE2011.pdf

Just listen and follow chart, when the sequence ends that's the letter/number you are on.

dit dit dit dah dah = 3
    dah dit dit dah = x

etc.

Here is something else....
    https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/201...ther-business/

and this...

http://npstc.org/documents/NIFOG%20v1.2%204-14-2008.pdf

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I finally took the tech class test, and am waiting to show up in the database. I will end up having to get at least a general license for HF use. I think that most of my operating will be mobile. I have a Yaesu vx-6r to get started with, but will be looking to get a better mobile setup once I learn more.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Congratulations, man. I started out just wanting a couple of HTs for EMCOM, and got sucked into the Hambyss.

If you're preparedness-oriented, I highly recommend looking into the Yaesu FT-817ND.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    I finally took the tech class test, and am waiting to show up in the database. I will end up having to get at least a general license for HF use. I think that most of my operating will be mobile. I have a Yaesu vx-6r to get started with, but will be looking to get a better mobile setup once I learn more.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 11-30-15 at 17:32.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Congratulations, man. I started out just wanting a couple of HTs for EMCOM, and got sucked into the Hambyss.

If you're preparedness-oriented, I highly recommend looking into the Yaesu FT-817ND.
    I started out thinking that I was going to do more with this HT than it is capable of. Other that knowing that I will need HF, my knowledge hits the wall. I haven't made my first contact yet. I have been monitoring a lot, and learning how to use this vx6. I have located and programmed local emergency frequencies, and a few local repeaters.

I tuned into a local repeater a little while ago, and stumbled across a Vietnam vet telling a story about an idiot that accidentally burned down a 12 stall shit house with 5 gal. of jet fuel. He and the other old-timer got to talking about antennas after that. While monitoring, I looked up their call signs, but I'm not sure that I know them.

I figured out where and when the local club meets, but I don't know that I am ready to check that out yet. I better go ahead and read through this thread again before I ask too many questions.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Taking the Technician test tomorrow.... getting 90's in the practice exams

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxet1959 View Post
    Taking the Technician test tomorrow.... getting 90's in the practice exams
    Best of luck! If you're scoring that well on practice exams you'll be fine.

Have a radio picked out yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 42 of 64 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast