Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Good, The Bad and then the Ugly.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

The Good, The Bad and then the Ugly.

Strange title for a thread but heres the reason,

The Good,
    For the first time in 20 years as a LEO I have finally been issued duty ammunition which was not from the lowest bidder and made DOCGKR's list of recommended duty loads. The Federal Tactical 230gr HST H/P.

The Bad,
    My trusted duty gun a Glock Model-17 9mm which I have carried for 19 years had to be retired due to a frame failure. This Model-17 has been perfect never having a failure which was not ammunition induced in over 50,000 recorded rounds. The pistol was manufactured September of 1988 and was purchased "USED" by me in August of 1990. This pistol saved my bacon four times during those 19 years and it was a shame that she had to be retired.

The Ugly,
    With the good comes the Ugly, most here expressed misgivings on the Glock Model-22 & Model-21SF for duty use. My replacement duty gun was a choice of a Department owned Multi re-issued battered Glock Model-17 in which my 19 year old retired Glock Model-17 pistol looked like a spring chicken (No more private owned Glock Model-17's allowed once the original private owned is decommissioned so only Department issued Model-17's are allowed) or a "New" private owned Model-22 or 21SF.

My Low Tech Testing
    Since I own both a new Glock Model-22 and a 21SF (Got both at a great deal) I decided to run 100rds a range trip until a total of 1000rds for each pistol were fired spaced out over the last 60 days to see if a function issue would occur. Ammo was Speer .45acp 230gr TMJ and Speer .40S&W 165gr TMJ. Both guns ran like champs with only one failure to feed with the Model-21SF in which a older magazine used in a very dirty pistol caused the bullet to stopped on the feed ramp were a simple tap on the rear of the slide chambered the round. I also fired for accuracy the issued duty loads which are both Federal Tactical HST H/P's at 25 yards from a supported rest (Pass/Fail 50rds must score centered head shot on a B-27 target). And to finish up I was timed with both pistols for pairs and triples at seven yards were speed and accuracy were recorded.

End Result
    The Glock Model-21SF was the clear winner in terms of accuracy (Slow Fire Bench at 25yds with duty ammo) and accuracy with pairs and triples. Speed/Time wise those pairs and triples were almost identical between the .40S&W and ,45acp but I had greater control and accuracy with the .45acp. Since my only other option to the .40S&W and .45acp was a department owned Multi reissued battered Glock Model-17 were the issued duty load is the out dated Federal Classic 9mm 115gr standard pressure H/P (9BP) I decided on the following pistol. I selected the Glock Model-21SF for its better handling and accuracy, the better duty ammunition and that the pistol is brand new.

Question
    This has been covered lightly without any solid remedy from owners or armorers so I will ask it again. What is the problem with a Glock Model-21SF .45acp, what failures occur and what remedy is there to correct it. Most say it is a simple preemptive measure to just replace the recoil spring and magazine springs every 2000rds and to fire good quality ammunition. True, false or INTERNET rumor?

My new duty Glock Model-21SF has been detail striped and cleaned with a new recoil rod and magazine springs installed which I will re-do after every 1500rds to ensure proper function unless a better maintenance plan can be offered.

Anyway I really want to hear from the forum experts so let the discussion begin.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 08-13-09 at 01:51. Reason: Edit to clean up the grammar (Another late night post after a 12 hour shift)

Feedback Score
    If I was in your situation, I'd probably do exactly what you have done.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    While I don't consider myself an expert by any means, I seem to recall having heard about some recall issue with the trigger bar on a number of G21SF's.

I don't remember the exact problems involved exactly, but perhaps it can jog someone else's memory loose, or may warrant a call to Glock directly to probe for details.
    Last edited by MisterWilson; 08-12-09 at 17:00.
    The Revolution will not be televised.

Feedback Score
    LAPD...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Link to the LAPD recall which is dated November 2005,

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/nov/26/local/me-guns26

My Glock Model-21SF was manufactured in March 2009 so she should not be affected by past recalls.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 08-12-09 at 23:19.

Feedback Score
    There have been several marathon threads over at GlockTalk over the sf “failure to return to battery” issue. My reading is that most folks solve their issues with aftermarket trigger bars (or Glock replacements) or end up sending their gun back to Glock...

I read a commentary in a gun magazine the other day (can’t remember which one). The author thought that 40 is prone to a bad pressure spike early in the ignition phase, which he thought caused the accuracy issues that the seems prone to. I know my Glock22 can have an abnormally high number of “flyers”, particularly with cheap ammo.

IF this is the case, this seems to be an ammo manufacturing issue that could be overcome with the right powder, etc. Anyone else have any comment on this?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I had a chance to talk to someone at Glock about the untimely end of my decommissioned duty Model-17 which had the frame failure (Crack at the frame pin). I was told if I mailed her back there would be a good chance they would fit a new generation frame and give the old girl a make over free of charge.

Edited to add that I will be shipping the Model-17 out for the repairs, it Glock holds true to the "NO Charge" for a 19 year old duty gun thats some serious warranty/customer service care.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 08-16-09 at 17:37.

Feedback Score
    Uh...no brainer--get a new frame and keep using it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Uh...no brainer--get a new frame and keep using it.
    I definitely agree! I sent my old 2nd gen. G19 and two older G20s back for an "overhaul". I didn't get new night sights (can do that myself) or a refinish (I prefer the older parkerized looking finish over the newer "shiny" finish which they couldn't promise I'd get). They did an excellent job, detailing on the invoice what parts they replaced/upgraded. Best part, except for shipping to them, it was free. Got a bunch of Glock flair back in the box with it also. Oh, and send your mags with it, they'll upgrade/replace them as needed.
    And come on, 19 yrs together on the job is a long time. You have to give your old 17 this upgrade.
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I attended a Glock armorer's school in May. The only negative about the 21SF was the ambi mag release. Too many little parts in the release to break at the wrong time. They cam be re-fitted with standard mag releases. I like the re-build the old trusty G17 idea too.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast