Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Functional Featherweight

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile Functional Featherweight

My goal with this build was to get something as light as possible, without sacrificing function or otherwise resorting to what I would consider a significant compromise. I know that I could trim more weight off of this build if weight was my only goal, but it wasn't. That means I still went with a RDS and a white light.

Parts:
    • LMT complete lower
    • BCM middy upper
    • BCM BCG
    • Noveske QD socket end plate
    • DD Omega
    • Magpul MOE stock, grip, and trigger guard
    • Magpul MBUS front and rear
    • Magpul XTM panels
    • Aimpoint T1 on Larue
    • Phantom FH
    • VLTOR scout light mount with the plastic shim from a VTAC light mount
    • Nitecore EX10 light

The Nitecore was one of my secrets for shaving weight: it's only 1.2 ounces without a battery but it pumps out 130 lumens. I've carried the AA version (D10) for over a year now every day (since it came out) and am satisfied that one of these lights can handle whatever I throw at it. I like the fact that the switch is a piston system: I don't have to worry about a tailcap going tits up on me.

The major way I shaved weight, however, was that I took this BCM middy upper to Robb at VA Arms Co and had him re-profile the bbl down to 0.625" as well as cut the length and permanently install the Phantom for total non-NFA length. Also, when I told him that I was cutting weight, he suggested shaving the FSB down to a low-pro style gas block. I said, "go for it" and am quite pleased with what he made for me.

Total unloaded weight of this 16" middy is approximately 6.7 lbs. Like I said, I could shave more weight if I ditched the optic/light, or if I used ladders instead of panels, or if I used a crappier stock. I didn't want to do any of these things however. It is plenty light as it is. While standard hand guards would have saved me a few ounces (although then I'd have the weight of the FSB back) my personal preference was for a free-float option with a bbl this skinny.

Oh, and once it was all put together, I just had to hit it with Krylon. It's not a great job, but I'm pleased enough with how it came out. I wonder how many ounces I could have saved if I had avoided the paint

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    nice build (and great work as always gotm4)!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Very interesting carbine. I am in the process of building a very lightweight, easy to handle carbine. My plan is much like yours.

(Grant, where are those Colt pencil barrels?? )

I've debated doing the exact same thing with a BCM middy barrel.

It looks great - I have been the beneficiary of Robb's work as well, and have been highly pleased every time. You can't go wrong with anything he does.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Nitecore light. I used a GG&G light mount on a set of Cav Arms tapered handguards, and it worked well with a X300. I'll pick up a Nitecore for eval.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What colors did you use for that paint job?

Custom stencils I'm guessing?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Any reason to go with the DD Omega as opposed to the DD Lite Rail system? (I don't know which is heavier, just curious, as I've always heard a bare-bonesed DD Lite is the same as regular handguards. )
    Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatoCATM View Post
    What colors did you use for that paint job?
    Custom stencils I'm guessing?
    I used Krylon's camo line: their dark OD green, brown, and khaki (forget the exact names they use). I also threw in a can of Krylon fusion in a very light off-whitish khaki for those light spots, and an Outdoor Krylon can of a more lime green shade. I'll dig out the cans tomorrow or the next day to give you the exact colors. The fusion gave me the biggest trouble: it didn't seem to like sticking onto the other layers of Krylon as well. As a result, it ran more than any of the other cans. Of course, I wasn't very patient, so I'm sure it would be less of an issue for someone using better technique.

As for stencils, I took tips from this thread and just did freehand shapes on manila folders while looking at some multi-cam gear for "inspiration."

Quote Originally Posted by BushmasterFanBoy View Post
    Any reason to go with the DD Omega as opposed to the DD Lite Rail system? (I don't know which is heavier, just curious, as I've always heard a bare-bonesed DD Lite is the same as regular handguards. )
    According to Rob's chart, the Lite would have saved me 1.23 ounces over my Omega, and would still have been 1.2 ounces heavier than regular handguards (I.E. right in-between). Remember I was working with a middy here: not a carbine length system.

Also, although it probably isn't the biggest deal in the world, I really like the easy-on, easy-off method of attachment for the Omega and the fact that it doesn't require modification or special tools.

So all in all, I didn't care enough about 1.23 ounces to go for something that was harder to install/uninstall.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Very nice!!!

That is one well thought out, functional little carbine.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Also, although it probably isn't the biggest deal in the world, I really like the easy-on, easy-off method of attachment for the Omega and the fact that it doesn't require modification or special tools.
    This is especially applicable given your pinned flash suppressor.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Total unloaded weight of this 16" middy is approximately 6.7 lbs.
    That is pretty amazing. I always weigh with sling in place so this isn't apples:apples, but that puts you 1.2 lbs less than this configuration.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I keep coming back to this thread to check out that rifle. This is a very slick build.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    That is pretty amazing. I always weigh with sling in place so this isn't apples:apples, but that puts you 1.2 lbs less than this configuration.
    Rob is right, that is amazing. The sling and hardware to mount it will add some weight but that will still be one very light but still very functional carbine.

My lightweight build tips the scales at 8 pounds, 3/4 ounce with the sling.

I have a similar build that weighs a bit more at 8 pounds 3/4 ounces with the sling (unloaded).

- Colt 6520 upper rebuilt with flat top and an M16 carrier (replaced the old half circle carrier)
    - H2 buffer
    - DD Lite 9.5 FSP
    - PWS FSC556
    - Aimpoint T-1 on LaRue mount
    - TangoDown stubby (non-qd)
    - Troy folding rear sight
    - Standard FSB
    - TangoDown rail covers
    - MIAD with winter trigger guard front strap
    - MOE stock
    - BFG VCAS 2 point sling (mounted to the handguards with a one piece ACE loop, and the end plate with a DD QD mount).
    - Surefire G2L (with Z48 switch) in a VTAC mount

This is an old pic before the FSC556 and TD Stubby were installed.

There are a few places I could save weight like dropping the Z48 switch, getting rid of the TD Stubby vert grip, using a burnsed loop instead of the QD end plate, and getting rid of the rubber butt pad on the MOE stock, but I like the functionality that these things add. Even if I dropped those items, I think I would still be heavier than your build!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast