Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you CCW a pistol with a light?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Do you CCW a pistol with a light?

Just looking for opinions, I'm really considering this after reading that something like 70% of violent encounters happen at night. Is it much more uncomfortable than a pistol without a light? Any tips, opinions, etc?

Jay
    Last edited by dookie1481; 08-07-09 at 21:59.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    When my clothes allow to carry OWB, I carry my Glock 19 with Surefire 300. Since it is OWB, there aren't any comfort issues. It isn't a dedicated decision to carry with weapon light; it is my only OWB holster so if I wear it, the Surefire must be attached. Regardless whether I carry with light attached or not, I always carry a handheld light.

Feedback Score
    Convertible IWB or OWB concealment systems:

http://ravenconcealment.com/products/holsters.html

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

OWB ok, IWB not for me

I purchased a Raven phantom holster to carry my G19 w/ X200B attached, my rational was parallel to yours. But as much as I played with it I couldn't get it to sit comfortably. It was just a little too think and big for me to IWB. Perhaps its because I'm spoiled and usually carry w/ a milt sparks VMII IWB oh well...OWB was completely fine, and the raven holster worked terrific for that. But thats just me, I'm sure some others on this board have different opinions.

GU

Feedback Score
    I carry a 1911 without a rail, so for me a light isn't an option. However, concealed is the only option in my state, which for me means IWB. I doubt a light would work well with IWB carry.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    Convertible IWB or OWB concealment systems:

http://ravenconcealment.com/products/holsters.html
    I ordered a Phantom already, and I'm considering getting a Phantom LC along with a X300 or Insight Procyon. I just found a thread from a year ago or so that I read through. Some good info. I was more curious as to people's comfort level carrying this way.

Jay

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    i could be wrong,
    but i thought it was a bad idea (possible illegal) to carry a weapon mounted light on a CC pistol.

reason being 99% of the time u need to identify a possible threat before you point your weapon at it.

and that carries over to---

if you point your (you as a civilian) weapon at someone it better be to shoot them because your life is in danger.

if your worried about shooting at night then crimson trace laser grips work great, and there 100% legal.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Vash1023;428284]i could be wrong,
    but i thought it was a bad idea (possible illegal) to carry a weapon mounted light on a CC pistol.QUOTE]

I don't think mounted weaponlights on CCW pistols is necessarily "illegal", but it could be, so I'd recommend checking local laws or contacting your issuing deptartment for clarification. Here in NC, it's perfectly legal.

Two thoughts on the mounted weaponlight for CCW, one for each side of the coin when faced with a trial situation:

Pro: If the weapon should be utilized at night or in low-light conditions, one (YOU) may stand a better chance in court if you used the light to identify the target before firing a shot. "Yes, your Honor, I illuminated the attacker and could clearly see the knife he was holding as he came running towards me and my family."

Con: Juries are made up of "sheeple". A jury that is on the fence may see your CCW gun with its attached light as too "tactical" and thus, not intended for use in personal defense. "Mr. X (YOU), I see your pistol has a light attached. What exactly is that for? Why did you buy it? Ahh...I see, so you could see your targets at night. So I assume that you bought this gun with the intent of killing other people at night as well as during the day?

Obviously the "pro" remark could be used to counter the "con" line of questioning, however a jury sees and hears what it wants, and if they see a pistol with a "tactical light" on it, that may bring to mind visions of its intended use being offense rather than defense.

The same could be said for pistols with the word "Tactical" or "Operator" on them. A good (albeit wrong) lawyer could construct a line of questioning to point out to any jury that the pistol itself may or may not be meant for offensive instead of defensive use. For this reason my CCW pistols (G19 and S&W .357 revolver) do not have any markings on them other than factory markings, and I will not carry any pistol with such markings on it. For illumination purposes, I always have a Surefire clipped to my pocket.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Definitely planning on getting a hand-held as well, just wondering about the applicability of a rail-mounted light for CCW.

Jay

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    i carry an MC operator and a night ops gladius.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast