Thread: Discussion about alternative sights

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Discussion about alternative sights

I'm not handgun sight expert, although I have spent more money than I care to admit on alternative sights. I want to share my experiences and solicit your experiences.

Ghost Ring sights. Great on rifles and shotguns, not so much on handguns. The trick to getting a ghost ring to work is to keep it close to your eye so you can't focus on it. Even though you can't focus it, your brain is aware of it and instinctually you'll center what you're looking at in the ring, like a front sight for instance. The problem with having them on handguns is you can still focus on the ring. You still have three focal planes, the rear sight, the front sight and the target (on a rifle you only have two, the front sight and the target, since the rear sight cannot be focused on). The upside is if you can see the front sight, which the ring readily allows, you can get fast COM hits.

Xpress sights. From what I can tell, this idea came from African hunting rifles. If you're hunting dangerous game that can come up on you fast you want a sight that doesn't take a long time to line up. I've had experience with them, and while they are fast, I didn't find them to be very precise. However, I have seen video of someone hitting a popper target with them out to 100 yards. Some people seem to swear by them. I'm unconvinced as of now.

Suresight. This sight is an attempt to combine the speed of Xpress sights and precision. It's basically an express sight with a pointed (triangular) front sight. I have gotten a promise from the inventor to get one of the first batch of the new design for evaluation. It holds promise, but I wonder about the execution. The biggest downside, supposing it works as advertised, is its lack of tritium illumination as an option, for now.

Lasers. When I first had a laser it was not much more than a cat toy. I have since re-evalutated that position and seriously considering one.

Feedback Score
    Is the suresight the sight that came on the Steyr pistols? I have held a few but never shot one, they were interesting....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    Is the suresight the sight that came on the Steyr pistols? I have held a few but never shot one, they were interesting....
    Similar, but not exactly.

The Steyr pistols had trapizoidal sights. Basically they were regular post and notch sights with a triangular front and a trapizoid shape to the rear notch.

I haven't had the opprotunity to shoot a Steyr; although, I did get to handle one. The sights seemed promising.

Feedback Score
    For reference, here is the Suresight website.
    http://www.suresight.com/

Feedback Score
    I think the only way to know for sure what works well would be for every individual to trian quite a bit with each type of sights then pick the set that is most comfortable/fast. Of course this is not feasable for most shooters.

Feedback Score
    Those look really interesting. Depending on price and how easy they are to install I may try them on my G26. I installed my Ameriglos in about 5 minutes, these would need to be just as easy for them to be of interest to me (I don't want to pay a gunsmith for my experiment you know?)...

ETA: I looked over their site som more, and those sights have captured my interest for sure, any idea on what price might be Dport?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like those. They seem pretty intuitive. Who knows though, right?

I just received my Millett accurizers from Midway. Just got done installing them on my 92fs. What a PITA! The only reason I went with them is I needed something taller for my Matrix9 that ought to be transferred to my local ClassIII any day now...

I went with the bright orange front. It's sitting on my desk and I can't even focus on it. It's like it's radiating energy.

Enough of that, you guys don't care about them...

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...