Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR group wisdom?

Feedback Score

Ruger LCR group wisdom?

OK, the LCR has been out for a while now, and still no recall! At least not that I've heard. I recently handled an LCR and I have to say I was very impressed by the quality of the trigger pull, much better than on any J-frame I've used or owned. So the question is: do the LCR's reliably ignite and function as a defensive revolver should? I know it's ugly, but what else is there I don't know? Fragile? Sticky or slow to reload? Short life span? Just too damn ugly? Thanks for the input.

Feedback Score
    I don't know of anyone that owns one. Around here, the only Ruger LCRs that you can find, are the display models at the gunstore. They will let you hold one and examine it. Bought, if you want one, you need to order it.

My impression, from handling one, is that it doesn't really do any different than what the J Frames do. Although the LCR is 2 ounces lighter than the S&W 442.

As a disclaimer, I should not that the J Frame S&W is near and dear to my heart. The first handgun I ever bought for CCW was a S&W 36 Chief's Special. With that said, I do own, carry and love the Ruger LCP.

I don't think there should be any problems with the LCR. Even if there were to be problems, Ruger was very responsive to me with the LCP recall.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I, for one am anxious to shoot it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Would someone explain to me why you would practice with a 15 or 17 shot pistol, carry extra magazines and train with it; then turn around and carry a 5 or 6 shot revolver with a short barrel that has a completely different trigger, is difficult to reload and carry the reloads, as well as having completely different sights and ergonomics?

Why not just shove a compact model of your main gun in your pocket?

M_P

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_pirate View Post
    Would someone explain to me why you would practice with a 15 or 17 shot pistol, carry extra magazines and train with it; then turn around and carry a 5 or 6 shot revolver with a short barrel that has a completely different trigger, is difficult to reload and carry the reloads, as well as having completely different sights and ergonomics?

Why not just shove a compact model of your main gun in your pocket?

M_P
    That is a valid question. Unfortunately I can not argue against it. All I can say is that when I bought my S&W 36, Glock had yet to introduce the Glock 26/27. Plus, I find that a S&W 442 or the Ruger LCP is easier to pocket carry.

In the summer time, I find myself becoming lazy and just stuffing the LCP in my front pants pocket. However, recently we had a bank robbery that happened locally. In the surveillance footage, you can see the robber pointing a full sized semi auto pistol at a customer. That, and the talk of the 25 year annivesary of the McDonalds shooting in San Ysidro, has me looking at carrying my Glock 23 more often. The compact .380 just doesn't seem to fill me with too much confidence.

For on duty, I still want a back up gun that I can easily get out of my left pocket. The Glock 27 is just too big for that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by woodandsteel View Post
    My impression, from handling one, is that it doesn't really do any different than what the J Frames do. Although the LCR is 2 ounces lighter than the S&W 442
    The lighter weight in the LCR could be a negative. Just read a report of someone shooting 158gr Fiocchi in an LCR and the bullets jumped crimp and locked up the gun. I also experienced this same thing with a S&W 360PD until I switched from Cor-Bon to Gold Dots in the short barrel variety. Less weight could be a liability if coupled with the wrong ammo.

Feedback Score
    I recently had the opportunity to fire a variety of 38s, both standard velocity and +P, through one. I started out not wanting to like it, having owned and shot J frames for years. Besides, I personally find it ugly. I quickly had my opinion changed and experienced no problems with it. I really liked the trigger, it was superior to my Smith. It shot everything we fed it and reloaded the same as any revolver. The owner, a long-time friend, has shot a butt-load of rounds through it in a short time. He reports no problems. In fact he thinks so much of it that he's ordered another for his wife.

Of course it has the same shortcomings as any revolver does. Recoil was about the same as a 642, at least to me. Accuracy was also comparable. My opinion after playing with one for a few hours is it should be as good as a J frame. Time will tell as to its long term durability. I have doubts about most of Ruger's centerfire autoloading pistols but think their revolvers are fairly indestructible.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark/MO View Post
    I recently had the opportunity to fire a variety of 38s, both standard velocity and +P, through one. I started out not wanting to like it, having owned and shot J frames for years. Besides, I personally find it ugly. I quickly had my opinion changed and experienced no problems with it. I really liked the trigger, it was superior to my Smith. It shot everything we fed it and reloaded the same as any revolver. The owner, a long-time friend, has shot a butt-load of rounds through it in a short time. He reports no problems. In fact he thinks so much of it that he's ordered another for his wife.

Of course it has the same shortcomings as any revolver does. Recoil was about the same as a 642, at least to me. Accuracy was also comparable. My opinion after playing with one for a few hours is it should be as good as a J frame. Time will tell as to its long term durability. I have doubts about most of Ruger's centerfire autoloading pistols but think their revolvers are fairly indestructible.
    huh.... well that's a pretty good testimonial. i DO like ruger revolvers. had my eye on a 44 mag alaskan for awhile now
    they're like 350 bucks right?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    huh.... well that's a pretty good testimonial. i DO like ruger revolvers. had my eye on a 44 mag alaskan for awhile now
    they're like 350 bucks right?
    I think you're about right on the price. I didn't ask what he paid for it and it is the only one I've seen.

I know what you mean. I too have a fondness for their revolvers, owning more than a couple of them. A Single Six was my first handgun, bought with money I'd earned cutting wood over 30 years ago. I still have it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "Would someone explain to me why you would practice with a 15 or 17 shot pistol, carry extra magazines and train with it; then turn around and carry a 5 or 6 shot revolver with a short barrel that has a completely different trigger, is difficult to reload and carry the reloads, as well as having completely different sights and ergonomics?

Why not just shove a compact model of your main gun in your pocket?"

Some companies just don't make an adequate sub-compact pistol version of their mid and full size; SIG for instance. Some situations require the smallest and lightest possible concealment piece, ever see an aluminium/titanium auto?. Completely different trigger? I shoot DAK, LEM, and DAO so it isn't that much different to me. At the range a BUG is typically fired I am not worried about sights, I'm point shooting anything under 7 yards anyway. Speed strips are really easy to carry and load. As for ergonomics; practice.

As it stands, the LCR represents an inexpensive alternative to the 340PD as a BUG and I for one am anxious to try it out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast