Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good gun for ankle carry?

Feedback Score

Good gun for ankle carry?

Now that I've gotten my CCW I'm evaluating my carry options and have come to the realization that for work the only way that would seem to work would be ankle carry. My office wear is pretty much shirt and tie (often with no coat) but most importantly because I work at a hospital I can't afford anything that has a decent chance of inadvertently being revealed not because I'll get fired but just that I don't want anyone to panic - least of all the patients. So OWB/IWB and shoulder are out because of that. I'm not considering pocket carry because I want to be able to carry something more substantial than a mouse gun.

So, any suggestions on a good ankle carry gun to consider?

I'm waiting on a M&P40 full-size to replace my XDm .40 for a HD gun and off-work carry and I was thinking of also getting a matching M&P40 compact - could that be a feasible gun for ankle carry? I thought it was worth considering since it would simplify training.

I'd prefer to stick with 9mm or above because I'd prefer something with more punch than a .380 and .380 ammo's still hard to come by here (don't know if it's easier anywhere else lol) - don't see much point to getting a good gun with no ammo to use or practice with.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice.
    Last edited by FF750; 08-08-09 at 23:49.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For an ankle gun NOTHING tops the S&W 340PD in .357 Magnum. For a close second I'd take a look at the new Ruger LCR in .38+p. I am trying to get my hands on one to try it out.

BTW, even ankle holsters will show at the wrong time. If you are precluded from carrying where you work as a condition of your employment then you need to decide which is more important, carrying or feeding yourself and family.
    Last edited by kmrtnsn; 08-09-09 at 00:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SW442/642? there are really light weight, with a good rig i doubt you'd notice it was there.

Feedback Score
    For ankle carry, nothing can beat an airweight or Ti S&W J-frame in .38 sp--skip the .357 Magnum...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It depends on how/when/where/etc you carry concealed. My brother and I have done it with a Glock 26. But thats really only ideal if you are doing a lot of driving and little walking around. They get annoying after awhile.

I would agree with the others on a lightweight J frame for the most part.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, if you really have to carry I'd look at the ultra light S&W revolver's or even one of the smaller Kahr's. There's also some pocket holsters out there with a flap on the outside that breaks up the outline of a gun in your pocket. Looks more like a billfold in the pocket than a gun. There's also those tuckable IWB holster too. I've got a Desantis Tuck This for my HK USPc, it does a pretty decent job because it sits so low in the waistband.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    For ankle carry, nothing can beat an airweight or Ti S&W J-frame in .38 sp--skip the .357 Magnum...
    +1 ... always worked for me!!!

Feedback Score
    I'll add my vote, S&W 342PD Titanium Airweight .38+P.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Massad Ayoob wrote a really good chapter on ankle carry in the Gun Digest book of Concealed Carry. In it, he discusses which holsters and rigs to consider, angle, and guns. If you are seriously considering this I would highly recommend checking out that entire book.

He recommends many of the same guns that members on here are already throwing out there. However, he also gives pro's and con's to each choice which I found very helpful.

Good luck!
    "Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb discusing Whats for Dinner. Liberty is a well Armed Lamb willing to Contest The Majority Decision". Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    BTW, even ankle holsters will show at the wrong time. If you are precluded from carrying where you work as a condition of your employment then you need to decide which is more important, carrying or feeding yourself and family.
    I realize that there's a risk of any form of carry showing - the ankle rig just seems to have the lowest odds of that for my situation. I'm not worried at all about trouble with my employer - they don't have any rules against it, it's just that I have to interact with a lot of people on a daily basis at my job and want to minimize the chances of freaking them out by seeing a gun as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Seems like that's the consensus. I'd been checking those out at my local FFL - I'll have to see if they have one for rental and give it a test fire.

Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    Massad Ayoob wrote a really good chapter on ankle carry in the Gun Digest book of Concealed Carry. In it, he discusses which holsters and rigs to consider, angle, and guns. If you are seriously considering this I would highly recommend checking out that entire book.

He recommends many of the same guns that members on here are already throwing out there. However, he also gives pro's and con's to each choice which I found very helpful.

Good luck!
    I'm actually in the middle of reading that book and you're right, it's a very helpful one to read.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast