Thread: Forend Rail options

Feedback Score

Forend Rail options

I noticed while reviewing BCMs multiple options for rail systems on their uppers for sale there is a fairly wide selection. I am familiar with the VIS, SWS rails and I was issued an M4 some years back.
    Are there any threads and/or comparisons of the various rail systems regarding weight, strength, and overall desirability? I did a quick search without finding what I had hoped too. Something lighter than the aforementioned but retaining a reasonable amount of strength for taking a header out of vehicle onto concrete seems to make sense.
    Thanks for your responses.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    There are 4001 rails to choose between. There were 209 new forearms released while I typed the first sentence.....HAHA

-KNIGHTS ARMAMENT
    -LARUE
    Last edited by trauma; 02-07-11 at 00:43.

Feedback Score
    Both giants in the field with truly fine reputations.
    Any other reasons in particular?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I have been partial to Daniel Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo603 View Post
    Both giants in the field with truly fine reputations.
    Any other reasons in particular?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Speaking strictly of free-float 4-rail systems...

Daniel Defense and Larue have been the standards on the commercial market for several years, and with good reason. Typically the choice between one or the other comes down to who makes what configuration that you like and is available at that moment. Centurion Arms is poised to invade that space with their very new two-piece free-float rail system.

There have been several companies that make what I would consider second-tier systems. These include Samson, Troy, Midwest Industries, YHM, and a few others. They tend to be less expensive but for that cost savings you give up something, typically either the rail is fatter, heavier, weaker, or some combination thereof.

Of late several companies have come out with free-float tube systems that either only have an integral rail on the top, or no integral rails at all. Rail sections are placed where, and how, the end-user feels necessary. These systems have gained a lot of traction recently, somewhat ironically since JP had been making a tube system for years. The difference between the JP and the new breed of tubes is that the new ones tend to be very lightweight while the JP was rather heavy for what it was. Midwest Industries, Troy, and Samson are all setting themselves apart and elevating their status in these low-cost, low weight, free-float tube systems, with Troy tending to be the current leader with their TRX Extreme and VTAC tubes. Apex Machining is a company that has come on the scene as well with a pretty interesting tube system.

You might find this comparison chart helpful. It has the weights of the stock plastic parts at the bottom for comparison, and I have done my best to normalize the weights to include any stock parts that remain after install, as some come with proprietary nuts and some use the stock part, some require the removal of the delta ring and/or handguard cap, etc.

I also wrote a brief Which Free Float Rail Should I Buy article for my website. It's a bit dated as it doesn't include any of the new tube systems, but if you're looking for 4-rail systems not much has changed frankly.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    and I don't mean to slight KAC. They were, and still are AFAIK, the original mass-issued rail interface system with their RIS/RAS for the Army M4 and USMC M16. Their systems tend not to be free-float, and their newer designs that are free-float require a proprietary wrench to install that I am told is rather expensive. Great systems for what they are, and they're making some pretty nice innovations to their systems, but I wouldn't consider them quite mainstream.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    The fact is, there are probably more options for rail systems than there are for rifles these days. I remember when it was KAC, Surefire, Midwest, YHM, Troy and not much else, and I'm sure that others remember when there were even fewer.

I think somebody in another thread summed it up perfectly when they said something like: light, strong, and cheap...pick any two. A light, strong rail won't be cheap, and a light cheap rail won't be strong, etc.

That said, I'm partial to Daniel Defense as well. I have a DD LITE 14.0 on my patrol rifle and have used a LITE 7.0 in the past. The Omega and Omega X series are also very nice, easier to install, and cheaper. As long as you aren't buying UTG, CAA, or other really cheap garbage, you should be fine. Rob's rail chart is very useful as well.

Feedback Score
    For me it came down to that the DD Lite rail offered a continuous top rail and the LaRue rail didn't.

Feedback Score
    Learn something everyday. In this case, more than a little. Much appreciated.