Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR10 Calibers for Best Accuracy

Feedback Score

Hi Ya'll

I can build bore guides for any AR caliber.
    little receiver models ( 6.8, 7.62x39, 204, etc) are $26 delivered
    Bigger receiver models ( 308, 6.5 creed, 300 SAUM, 260 etc) are $ 29.00 delivered.
    I use the nearest i.d. aluminum tube, with an acetal chamber insert.
    I'm new here but have feedback on GB under skered53 where I've sold a few guides ( lots of HK bent sheetmetal 91,93,MP5)
    100% of the first purchased guide will be donated here.
    Just an out of work former Jarhead. here's my e-mail
    skered53@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil3 View Post
    I have a Noveske N6 308 AR-10 lower and Armalite upper receiver (stripped), and need to find the best caliber for accuracy. I would be reloading, and shooting paper at 100 and 200 yards (local range), and if the gun can do it, 600 - 1000 yards (far less often, range is 100 miles away). An AR15 with a 6.5 Grendel or 6mmAR could deliver, but I just want a big semi-auto. I already have a 223 AR15.

I have heard the big semis can be difficult to shoot well. Still, I would like the rifle to be able to achieve 1/2 MOA with handloaded ammo. I most likely will build myself, since I am in California, and finding an AR-10 the way I want it, has been difficult. I am building the AR-15 without incident, but professionals may do things I am not aware of to obtain top accuracy. I have learned many, but there may be more.

What caliber would deliver superior accuracy in the AR-10 platform?

Thank you.

- Phil
    You say you like Krieger, that's a good thing. What bullet weight would you use in a 308? I have 2 krieger Palma 308 barrels with a 13 twist tight bore, they both shoot 155gr Hornady Amaxs 1/2 MOA consistently all the way to 500yds which is the max at my range at the moment. The 155s( Lapua or Hornady) have a very high BC and you can push them much faster than 175s.
    A 260 shooting 123gr Lapuas works with an 8 twist barrel.
    A .243 shooting 95gr SMKs or Berger VLDs or 107 SMKs also with an 8 twist.
    Any caliber and barrel can shoot, just depends on how much time you want to put into it.

Feedback Score
    I have not yet decided on bullet weight, as I am determining where I will shoot it. I prefer 300 - 600 yards or so, but that means I have to take long drives to do so. Unless I drive at least at 100 miles (each way), it is 200 yards max. If I can find someone local who would permit me to shoot on their land at longer distances, that would be great, but not sure that will happen.

- Phil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12