Thread: Personal Standardization...1911, Glock, S&WM&P

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Personal Standardization...1911, Glock, S&WM&P

First off, let me appologize in case this comes off as a sort of a ramble. Too many thoughts swimming around sometimes doesn't come out making a good coherent thought/inquiry.

Second, being married, having a full time 8-5, and 2 kids (and all the associate activities), unfortunately do not have the time to practice and master different platforms in caliber or design. In essence, I am looking for input on where my $$$ and time are going to be best spent.

Caliber:
    I have always been of the thought that I SHOULD have a .45 and a 9mm. In a gay mall ninja SHTF sort of way, the thought being if you can't get .45 you could get 9mm.
    Recently, I've been thinking that is not necessarily so. Even though in some instances (e.g. if you had to use ball ammo in a defensive capacity) .45 is going to be superior to 9mm (IMO), but 9mm is easier to control, it's more plentiful than .45, there are plenty of good carry loads available today, and in the SHTF situation I think it would be the most likely pistol round I would possibly encounter anyway. FOR ME, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 sig, and the host of others just are not options.

1911/Glock/S&WM&P
    I, like many others, really admire and like the 1911, but to get what I want out of one, I can get multiple Glocks &/or S&WM&Ps. I sold off one of my 1911s to do just that. I had a G19, got some work done on it by Boresight Solutions (bad ass job by the way Ben...see my post elsewhere), and really liked it. Decided that I'd prefer a full size G17 over the 19 and now I have two of those (a Gen II and a Gen III) with some more work from Boresight solutions to come. I still have a retro-ish custom 1911 that I had built many years ago that I thought I would just hold on to for the rest of my life (nothing really sentimental just figured I'd never be able to get out of it what I put in it). So I was pretty much decided to standardize on the Glock 9mm with a primary focus on the full size G17 and keeping the G19 for a more discreet carry piece, and the 1911 would always be there to shoot .45 ACP if I ever wanted to or needed to.

So today I was at Academy Sports and Outdoors. I decided to swing by the gun counter and decided to check out a full size M&P in .45ACP as I had never handled one out before and have heard so many good things about them. It was suprisingly light (with the trigger lock in place with an empty mag) and felt AWESOME in my hand. I start thinking Maybe I should try to sell off my remaining 1911 and get one or more S&WM&P .45s.

G17s for my standard 9mm and S&WM&Ps for my standard .45

I think I already know the best answer without input from others, but would welcome the discussion.

Ideally sell off the Glocks and the remaining 1911 and get a host of the single platform (i.e. the S&WM&P) so body mechanics and muscle memory are the same regardless of caliber (I'd assume the 9mm full size is comparable to the .45 but likely a bit smaller) I wonder if its basically pointless to start over, but at 36 I've got many years ahead of me and think I should do what is going to be best in the long run. Only advantage to the Glock that I can see is its proliferation, parts, accessories, etc. The thing that seemed great about the S&WM&P was that althought the sights weren't the best, it's probably the closest to an out of the box weapon with no modifications weapon that will give me most of what I want out of a pistol.

I want to say that this line of thinking really got stuck in my head because of the likes of board members USMC03, rob_s (the only two that I can think of off the top of my head), and others.

I don't even want to ask this question elsewhere on the board as to whether or not I should sell off my M14.......
    Last edited by adh; 08-10-09 at 20:35.