Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the difference with wolf ammo

Feedback Score

Whats the difference with wolf ammo

Any body know the difference between Wolf black box and mil classic? Ive tried to find a chrono chart but haven't had any luck.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -

"There is no glory in battle worth the blood it costs." -

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    its been a while since ive cared, so my memory might be inaccurate, but i'm pretty sure there's about a 200-300 fps velocity difference, with MC being at just undr 3000fps, or somewhere around there.

also, IIRC, MC is copper-plated steel, while most black box is full copper jacket. hopefully someone trustworthy can confirm or correct this- it's caused me to not even consider ever using the MC. all the wolf black box i've used, which is maybe 4000 rounds total purchases 7-8 years ago, has said, right on the box, "copper jacket." the copper-plated steel says "bi-metal."

Feedback Score
    The Wolf "Black Box" that I have says "Steel Case, Non-corrosive Boxer Primed".
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGfever View Post
    The Wolf "Black Box" that I have says "Steel Case, Non-corrosive Boxer Primed".
    doesnt tell you anything about the projectile?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Military Classic is lacquer cased ammo guaranteed to gum up your rifle twice as fast as the black box stuff...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner_5 View Post
    Military Classic is lacquer cased ammo guaranteed to gum up your rifle twice as fast as the black box stuff...
    that's the old stuff. the newer stuff is polymer coated. it's a grey case vs. the old green one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    doesnt tell you anything about the projectile?
    Mine is 55 GR FMJ
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Feedback Score
    I've never tried the .223 wolf. I use the 7.62X39 Military Classic in my AKM and I know that the Military Classic has a 124 gr. bullet compared to the black box 7.62X39 (122 gr). The box of the Military Classic is labeled bi-metal jacket which means it is copper plated steel. I don't believe the black box stuff is bi-metal, I believe it is solid copper.

Wolf works great in my AKM, but that stuff is messy (the black box is worse), which doesn't really matter in my AKM because it's easy to clean. I would imagine that cleaning that stuff out of my AR would be a pain.

Hope that helps.
    Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my AR.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner_5 View Post
    Funny....The Brown Bear I use is Lacquer cased and never gums my chamber up.

The problem was never the lacquer, it was the neck sealant.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure the lacquer gumming up the chamber thing is a myth.

there's a good faq at ar15.com regarding this

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=268

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast