Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Sig P239

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Opinions on Sig P239

Looking for a pistol for my sister. She went shooting with my dad a few weeks ago and they rented a few smaller auto pistols and revolvers for her to try out. She shot a compact Sig chambered in .380 and liked it a lot. I am guessing she shot the P232, but they cant remember. I dont think .380 is a bad round, but with .380 being a semi-difficult to find round right now I figured getting her something in 9mm would be a better choice since 9mm is so much easier to find and my family has a few guns chambered in 9mm already so we already have quite a bit of ammo.

I know the quality of Sig in general, but I am looking for some insight on the P239 specifically the 9mm version. Any thing to watch out for, gotcha's or anything like that or will it be GTG right out of the box.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Looking for a pistol for my sister. She went shooting with my dad a few weeks ago and they rented a few smaller auto pistols and revolvers for her to try out. She shot a compact Sig chambered in .380 and liked it a lot. I am guessing she shot the P232, but they cant remember. I dont think .380 is a bad round, but with .380 being a semi-difficult to find round right now I figured getting her something in 9mm would be a better choice since 9mm is so much easier to find and my family has a few guns chambered in 9mm already so we already have quite a bit of ammo.

I know the quality of Sig in general, but I am looking for some insight on the P239 specifically the 9mm version. Any thing to watch out for, gotcha's or anything like that or will it be GTG right out of the box.
    I have an older one, it seems like a good pistol for a SA/DA (which I hate). Truth be told, the only reason I still have it is because my dad bought it for me and I carried it for the short time I was in Iraq, else I would sell it. It's just too damn big relative to its' capacity. Seemed very accurate, though.

Jay

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mine was purchased when Sig was the old Sig...before the management change and accompanying issues.

My P239 is a good little handgun. It's been reliable and it's a pretty accurate little handgun. I've never liked the controls on the Sig, personally, but the weapon worked well for what it was intended to be.

It's a decent handgun...but these days I'd much rather have something like an M&P or G19.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    She has shot my dads Glock 19 as well as my XD40SC and both were/are to big for her(she wants a purse gun basically). She really liked shooting the revolvers as well(dont know which ones she shot though). She also liked the Sig she shot, that is why I am trying to help her find a gun in that size range. Alot of people like the Ruger LCP or Kahr PM9, but I am not a fan of either, probably more a fan of the Kahr than the Ruger. There aren't to many other guns in that size and the P239, while not quite as small as the Kahr or Ruger, is pretty close.

I am trying to steer her clear of revolvers, I am just personally not a fan of them, but if I found a good deal on one I would probably get it for her.

Feedback Score

She may have shot the P238. I believe those are having issues. I like the original Sig formula and I probably wouldn't stray too far from that. P228's a good guns but may be a touch larger than she wants.
    Shad
    ------
    I knew where I was when I wrote this..
    I don't know where I am now.

Les Baer PII .45
    Sig Sauer E26BR-9-BWTAC
    Daniel Defense M4

Feedback Score
    I am trying to steer her clear of revolvers, I am just personally not a fan of them, but if I found a good deal on one I would probably get it for her.
    If revolvers work for her, that's what she should get. I don't particularly care for revolvers myself, but if that's what worked for my wife, I'd have no problem buying her one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm pretty much all sig, all the time...Except when it comes to compacts. I train hard with sigs, I'm a certified armorer with Sig, and I like them. But I decided to go M&P compact for a compact. Lighter, more rounds, simpler. etc. But P239 is still a great shooter.

Great gun though. Dan's currently has some West German P239's that would probably be an excellent choice.

N
    Last edited by noops; 08-11-09 at 17:02.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The 239 is a good gun, but also have your sister check out the S&W M&P compact in 9mm. Keep in mind she can change the grip size with the M&P9c.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, I talked with her some more today and she has decided on a revolver. Her hands dont fit well around a double stack semi-auto pistol. She also said the DA pull on the SIG was pretty hard and she didnt care for carrying with the hammer cocked in her purse where something might happen.

She is looking at the S&W 442 and 642. Gotta figure out the differences on them. I wish they made a revolver in 9mm and not in .38 special or .357 mag, again not that they are bad rounds, but just can be difficult to find right now.

Feedback Score
    rjacobs, I'm late to this thread, but I think a P239 9mm is an excellent choice for her. You should try to get her to at least shoot it if she already hasn't. The grip size on the P239 is relatively small.

I've carried revolvers (S&W .357's) but I can't get my follow up shots on target(s) fast enough for me to feel good about it. I'm not sure if that's a concern of hers, but tell her about that. The DA/SA Sig system is weird, but tell her to think of it as a traditional revolver (DA) first shot, with the luxury of fast (SA) follow up shots.

I've also carried a polymer frame Kahr. It's a great little gun, but it has reliablity issues like a lot of Kahrs.

I can't think of any P239 specific issues. However, as John_Wayne777 implied, I would also think twice about getting a current or recent production Sig. They seem to have quality/reliability issues. This is one of the rare situations where I'd feel better about getting something used.

That P232 has a really sharp kick. If she didn't complain about it, you've got one less thing to worry about.

I hope this helps.

Joe Mamma
    Last edited by Joe Mamma; 08-11-09 at 21:01.
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast