Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Sig P239

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post
    rjacobs, I'm late to this thread, but I think a P239 9mm is an excellent choice for her. You should try to get her to at least shoot it if she already hasn't. The grip size on the P239 is relatively small.

I've carried revolvers (S&W .357's) but I can't get my follow up shots on target(s) fast enough for me to feel good about it. I'm not sure if that's a concern of hers, but tell her about that. The DA/SA Sig system is weird, but tell her to think of it as a traditional revolver (DA) first shot, with the luxury of fast (SA) follow up shots.

I've also carried a polymer frame Kahr. It's a great little gun, but it has reliablity issues like a lot of Kahrs.

I can't think of any P239 specific issues. However, as John_Wayne777 implied, I would also think twice about getting a current or recent production Sig. They seem to have quality/reliability issues. This is one of the rare situations where I'd feel better about getting something used.

That P232 has a really sharp kick. If she didn't complain about it, you've got one less thing to worry about.

I hope this helps.

Joe Mamma
    Thanks for the advice. Like I said in the previous post, she has pretty much decided on a S&W 642. She enjoyed shooting it and the grip felt good in her hands. Just got to find a ready supply of 38 special FMJ for the range.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    For range use it is not a bad shooter. Had to get rid of my P239 in favor of a USPc. For CCW it is a bit on the heavy side, and at a total capacity of 9 rounds, a little on the under powered side. The 239 did conceal well for me and it does have a nice feel to it grip wise. Long trigger pull IMO but a smooth one. If she is a new shooter I don't know if I would start her off with a DA/SA. Might be a little difficult to master at first.

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Well, I talked with her some more today and she has decided on a revolver. Her hands dont fit well around a double stack semi-auto pistol. She also said the DA pull on the SIG was pretty hard and she didnt care for carrying with the hammer cocked in her purse where something might happen.

She is looking at the S&W 442 and 642. Gotta figure out the differences on them. I wish they made a revolver in 9mm and not in .38 special or .357 mag, again not that they are bad rounds, but just can be difficult to find right now.
    Interesting. Make sure she practices with the J-frame. I much prefer dealing with the DA/SA on the 239 over the DAO of a 642. I'm sure it's possible, it's just hard for me to grasp that the DA pull of a Sig is too much to handle but the always double action which feels even heavier to me on a 642 is manageable.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmguy View Post
    Interesting. Make sure she practices with the J-frame. I much prefer dealing with the DA/SA on the 239 over the DAO of a 642. I'm sure it's possible, it's just hard for me to grasp that the DA pull of a Sig is too much to handle but the always double action which feels even heavier to me on a 642 is manageable.
    I completely agree and dont really understand it myself, but she says she enjoyed shooting it much more than any of the semi-auto pistols she shot. If she gets it and then doesnt end up liking it, I am sure it wont be that difficult to sell and at least break even to try something else.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The P239...in 9mm...is one of the most popular guns with ladies and youth at several area events. It's second only to the Glock 19.

They are generally a good fit for most, reliable with quality ammunition, and durable enough for most users. Recommended.
    Last edited by ST911; 08-11-09 at 23:40.

ToddG Guest
    If she liked the 642 and will carry the 642, she's way ahead of most women. Be glad she wants to carry a gun and be proud that she took the time to choose one based on her shooting performance.

As far as the P239 goes, a short trigger is available for those who've got really tiny hands. If the DA pull is a challenge, there is a DAK version of the gun.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    she didnt care for carrying with the hammer cocked in her purse where something might happen.
    why would she carry this with a cocked hammer?

I have a P239 I carry in the winter in my Sig jacket but the P229 is now the carry gun, soon to be replaced with an M&P when I can get it set up the way I would like etc.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    If she liked the 642 and will carry the 642, she's way ahead of most women. Be glad she wants to carry a gun and be proud that she took the time to choose one based on her shooting performance.

As far as the P239 goes, a short trigger is available for those who've got really tiny hands. If the DA pull is a challenge, there is a DAK version of the gun.
    Yea she said she liked shooting the 642, from everything I have read on it, its got pretty decent recoil and a pretty heavy trigger pull(I cant find a spec for the # though). I just dont understand why she wants it, but if thats the gun she shot and enjoyed shooting it, who am I to argue with that. My guess is though that she is going to get it, shoot it a bit more than 50 rounds and decide she doesnt like it, and I will inherit a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by eguns-com View Post
    why would she carry this with a cocked hammer?
    She didnt like the DA trigger pull of the first shot with the hammer down. I dont understand though how she could not like that, but be ok with the SW 642 that is always double action.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't understand why they like candles you can't burn, soap you can't use, or little porcelain angel figurines with big sad eyes....

...but if it works....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    She didnt like the DA trigger pull of the first shot with the hammer down. I dont understand though how she could not like that, but be ok with the SW 642 that is always double action.
    Unless the gun has a mechanism for locking the hammer back, like the 1911, USP, etc, this is not a safe thing. It is not safe on a P239.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast