Thread: Walther PPK in a fire

Feedback Score

Walther PPK in a fire

My firend has a Walther PPK that was in a house fire. Grips burned up and the pistol is in sore shape. The finish is pretty much gone. Is it at all possilble to test the pistol and see if it is still serviceable? And if it isn't is there any way to fix it?
    "The best part of waking up is not Folgers in your cup, but knowing that Chris Costa didn't kill you in your sleep."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbymike View Post
    My firend has a Walther PPK that was in a house fire. Grips burned up and the pistol is in sore shape. The finish is pretty much gone. Is it at all possilble to test the pistol and see if it is still serviceable? And if it isn't is there any way to fix it?
    My guess is no..Very good possibilty that the heat from the fire altered/ ruined the heat treated parts like, the barrel, slide, frame, hammer trigger, etc, Frankly, I'd write it off and buy another...Is there any possibilty insurance will cover this loss?? In the event your friend does write it off and replace it, I would destroy the burnt Walther so that it could not be fired again, that way, years from now, down the road someone won't "find" it and try to fire it...

Feedback Score
    And I'm assuming there is no way to fix any of that? No way to retemper the slide, frame or things like that.
    "The best part of waking up is not Folgers in your cup, but knowing that Chris Costa didn't kill you in your sleep."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While it may be possible to re heat treat some of the parts, My guess is It would be too costly...more than the pistol is worth, and I still would'nt trust it to shoot it, even if it was reasonably possible to do....Bottom line, I think the Walther is toast..

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I think the Walther is toast..
    Literally
    The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

JHP's are good times, for bad people.