Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can the thumb safety be added to the M&P?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Can the thumb safety be added to the M&P?

Just curious. I have a guy that wants to trade me his for a gun that I have but I am not sure that I would like it without the safety. Can it be added in the future?
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This has come up before. I don't believe that the thumb safety can be added afterwards.

Feedback Score
    I asked the question before here on another thread on the M&P and someone posted that they had called SW and was told that it couldn't be post added to a gun, even though there is hole in the right place. It can be subtracted though, IIRC. It wasn't a thread I started, but was a thread on the gun.

I don't know if that is just marketing or engineering stuff. I'm sure someone here has enough experience and know-how to comment.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I asked the question before here on another thread on the M&P and someone posted that they had called SW and was told that it couldn't be post added to a gun, even though there is hole in the right place. It can be subtracted though, IIRC. It wasn't a thread I started, but was a thread on the gun.

I don't know if that is just marketing or engineering stuff. I'm sure someone here has enough experience and know-how to comment.
    I do not know if I am the person referred to, but I have personally called S&W and asked this question. I was told that it can not be done, as different frames are used. I brought this up with one of our Department armors (We have about 1,200 M&P 9mm's in the field, armors were sent to the factory to be trained). He said it could probably be done, but you'd have to cut a notch in the frame, and it'd look like sh*t...

Now magazine safeties are a different story. They can be added or removed. It's a couple of parts to add, and a spacer to remove. About $35 worth of parts to do so.

For what it's worth, I've been carrying an issued M&P for almost 4 years w/o a safety, and have since bought a few personal M&P's w/o the safety. For me, it's a non-issue. Same as owning a Glock. I just ensure I use a holster to cover the trigger guard vs. just sticking a loaded gun into my pants.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 08-13-09 at 10:18.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    You do not want it.

The position it creates for ones thumb is a poor one IMHO.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    The position it creates for ones thumb is a poor one IMHO.

C4
    Please elaborate.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    Please elaborate.
    Sure. If a HG has an external safety on it, you must put your thumb on top of it.

The angle this creates is a poor one IMHO.

C4

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    Just curious. I have a guy that wants to trade me his for a gun that I have but I am not sure that I would like it without the safety. Can it be added in the future?
    Why the hell would want one at all?
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Sure. If a HG has an external safety on it, you must put your thumb on top of it.

The angle this creates is a poor one IMHO.

C4
    So i take it that the general consensus is No Safety with the M&P??? Considering buying one, that's the reason I ask...forgive my ignorance and lack of searching

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HD1911 View Post
    So i take it that the general consensus is No Safety with the M&P??? Considering buying one, that's the reason I ask...forgive my ignorance and lack of searching
    Correct.

As a 1911 guy, I have ZERO issues with external TS's, but unless you have really long thumbs, the TS on the M&P is at a poor angle and uncomfortable to shoot IMHO.

C4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast