Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig P239 vs Springfield EMP

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sig P239 vs Springfield EMP

I'm in the market for a single stack 9mm and have narrowed my choices primarly down to the Sig 239 and the SA EMP. Does anyone have a fair amount of expereince with either fo these?

Feedback Score
    There's another current 239 thread running that you may find helpfull.

Eric

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Buy the SIG. I had a DA/SA P239 a few years back in .357SIG (Not my choice of calibers, it was what was authorized). It was the last SIG that I have purchased. I must say that it had the best trigger of any DA/SA SIG that I have ever shot. Although I am not the biggest fan of SIG anymore I will say that you will be buying a professional grade concealable pistol. I found that I had to put Hogues on it to make it comfortable to shoot but it was a better shooter than the P229 DA/SA I was carrying as a primary at the time. I think the P239 would be an awesome pistol if SIG or someone made a compact double stack frame for it.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Springfield armory all the way!!!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Go with the SIG.

The EMP is not a 1911, but a scaled down one. It shares very little parts with one and is a completely separate pistol.

The Sig will be much easier to get parts for and easier to work on.

The P239 is a proven and time tested pistol that will be around for a long time. The EMP???

I also don't like how the EMP only comes in two tone finish. I also hate Springfield's huge ass writing and logo on their pistols.

If you want something like the EMP, I would get a 9mm Colt officers or a Colt Government .380.
    Last edited by scottryan; 08-14-09 at 02:38.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "Springfield armory all the way!!!"

That was useful. You back that up with what? unbridled enthusiasm? The number of officers, agents, etc. that carry it professionally? Its proven track record? The fact they build the XD? What?

ToddG Guest
    While far from an empirical study, every single person I know personally who has owned an EMP has eventually regretted the purchase. I'm sure there is someone out there in the interweb who claims he's fired five bazillion rounds through his without a single stoppage, but I put "reliable EMP" up there with "unicorn" on the list of things I expect never to see in my lifetime.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I had a reliable EMP until I had to send it back to the factory for a machining error. Great little pistol, very fun to shoot and accurate. Bought it for my wife. Don't think I'd compare to a Sig though.

I'll post when I get it back. The machining error never should have made it through QC.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    I'm in the market for a single stack 9mm and have narrowed my choices primarly down to the Sig 239 and the SA EMP. Does anyone have a fair amount of expereince with either fo these?
    To paraphrase LAV:

1. 1911's in 9mm should be considered nothing more than toys
    2. 1911's in compact configuration are problematic and unreliable

Of the two choices you mentioned, I'd prefer the P239 by a mile. My P239 was bought before the switch at Sig. It's a good, reliable handgun, although it likes a bit more lube than many of the plastic options on the market. While it's a good handgun...I don't like it any more than the S&W 3913. The one real advantage the P239 has over the 3913 is the availability of CT grips.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 08-14-09 at 09:57.

Feedback Score
    I chose the EMP after a similar decision to yours. Know that the rumors are true, chances are an EMP will need to be tuned by Springfield. Mine had some issues in the first 200 rds. I called Springfield, they took it and had it back to me in a week. Paid postage as well, so no charge whatsoever. Their smith did the kind of work I'd expect on a comp pistol, matched feed ramp to frame etc. It feeds any ammo I run through it and is ridiculously accurate. Anyone who has shot an EMP will agree it is a pleasure to shoot.

Another thing I looked at in the decision is the Sig 239 does not share the profile of other Sigs. Concealment holsters are specific to it alone. With the EMP any of the micro 1911 holsters will work. The other thing I looked at is company support. Springfield is great to deal with and has a reputation for that. Also I'm a lefty so the EMP is good to go out of the box. I've shot Sigs and don't find them lefty friendly at all. Not a huge issue but an issue nonetheless. Last, I like the aluminum, stainless combo on the EMP. For a carry gun in FL that is less worry about rust.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast