Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USP Compact vs. P2000

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

USP Compact vs. P2000

I have done some reading but looking for a nudge in one direction or the other. I of course will shoot both when I get home (in 9mm) but would like to hear what folks think about each. I am used to M9 (manual safety, etc.) so I have been looking at those verisons of the HKs but could possibly change my mind. Thanks in advance.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I own buth. USP Compact and P2000, both in 9mm. I bought the USP compact first and the P2000 years later. The USP Compact use to be my favorite shooter behind the Sig P228. Once I bought the P2000 I stopped shooting my Sig P228 and my USP Compact!

It feels great in the hand and I have over six thousand flawless rounds through it. Except for the time I was using the world's crappiest reloads which didn't even chamber. The pistol is easy to shoot, easy to point comfortable in the hand and I wouldn't have any problems trusting my life to it if the chips are down.

My suggestion is to buy the P2000. It's the newer of the two guns. Since it accepts most if not all USP Compact accessories such as holsters and magazines. And has newer features, such as industry standard light rail, interchangeable back straps and is completely ambidextrous. I feel the P2000 is the newer/cooler/better flavor from HK.

However if the manual safety is what you're looking for, than the USP Compact is the way to go. Either way, they're excellent weapons.
    The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

JHP's are good times, for bad people.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by loupav View Post
    I own buth. USP Compact and P2000, both in 9mm. I bought the USP compact first and the P2000 years later. The USP Compact use to be my favorite shooter behind the Sig P228. Once I bought the P2000 I stopped shooting my Sig P228 and my USP Compact!

It feels great in the hand and I have over six thousand flawless rounds through it. Except for the time I was using the world's crappiest reloads which didn't even chamber. The pistol is easy to shoot, easy to point comfortable in the hand and I wouldn't have any problems trusting my life to it if the chips are down.

My suggestion is to buy the P2000. It's the newer of the two guns. Since it accepts most if not all USP Compact accessories such as holsters and magazines. And has newer features, such as industry standard light rail, interchangeable back straps and is completely ambidextrous. I feel the P2000 is the newer/cooler/better flavor from HK.

However if the manual safety is what you're looking for, than the USP Compact is the way to go. Either way, they're excellent weapons.
    Thank you very much. I appreciate it.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I own a USPc and have been issued the USPc. I also own the P2000SK, the sub-compact version of the P2000 that you are looking at. Mechanically they are the same pistol. In a nutshell, the P2000 is an updated version of the USPc with primarily ergonomic enhancements, fully ambi, re-configurable backstrap, etc. The P2000 is a smidge bigger than the USPc, a sixteenth of an inch here, an eighth there, no big deal. I'd recommend the LEM trigger on whichever you decide to buy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a P2000 LEM with over two thousand rounds through it that I love. My wife actually used it to shoot the Texas CHL class as she wanted a semi-auto liscense so she could carry anything of mine and not just her J-Frame. Unfortunately, now I have to get her J-Frame an action job as she is threatening to take the P2000 away from me unless I make her "trigger pull like that one" since she shot it better than her J-Frame.

If you want to know more about what was done to the trigger keep reading. Otherwise, just know that I will never be selling this pistol.

My wife originally did not like the pistol. It came with a 7lb 15.5oz LEM pull (average of 10 pulls on a Lyman digital guage with only .5oz variation) which she thought was OK. It was about equal to her J-Frame with the Wolff spring kit installed. The problem was what happened when the gun defaulted to true double action mode in the case of a missfire/light strike/trigger pulled on an empty chamber. It jumped to a greater than 16lb pull (highest any gauge I could find went - my guess is about 18lbs in this situation).

My wife has small hands and arthritis. She could not physically pull the trigger in this mode. She is so used to DA revolvers that the inability to just pull the trigger again in this situation that it throws her off despite training for semi-auto clearance drills.

I then did a version of the P2000 LEM trigger job described in the forums at HKPro (http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40627) and it did wonders. I replaced only the Firing Pin Block Spring and left the Trigger Reset Spring the same. I did also replace the 14lb mainspring with Wolff's 12lb reduced power mainspring.

I actually tried the gun with multiple spring configurations to find what felt and functioned best. Using the Wolff's 10lb mainspring led to 3 failures to fire due to light primer strikes in the first 100 rounds of mixed Federal and Winchester practice ammo. The 12lb mainspring has had no failures to fire in over 500 rds since. The lighter Trigger Reset Spring was tried with both the 10lb and 12lb mainsprings but resulted in the failure to return the trigger fully forward if you staged the trigger and then released it without firing. It also felt mushy on reset when firing. The 12lb mainspring fixed the problem of the trigger failing to return fully forward but did not completely fix the less than crisp reset when firing.

In the end the final result was a 5.6lb LEM pull and an 11.9lb true DA pull.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another vote for the P-2000 Like cdmiller above, I have a P-2000 with a 7lb LEM trigger, I like it and I'll leave it as is...I don't have a very high round count on my pistol as others here have, But my P-2000 has shown it is a very accurate pistol, and a natural for a CCW. I had one FTF, which I attribute to the light reloads I had made,(the pistol has about 350rnds through it )I,ve upped the powder charge since, and haven't had another problem with it..I would'nt hesitate to reccommend a P-2000...There aren't many pistols that, right out of the box you could depend on if need be, the P-2000 is one of them.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    cdmiller, just buy your wife a P2000!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    P2000 in NP3 finish.

My orginal P2000 when I first brought her home.

I have four now. Don't ask me how I ended up with four. I bought one, and all of a sudden I had three more!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated21R View Post
    I have done some reading but looking for a nudge in one direction or the other. I of course will shoot both when I get home (in 9mm) but would like to hear what folks think about each. I am used to M9 (manual safety, etc.) so I have been looking at those verisons of the HKs but could possibly change my mind. Thanks in advance.
    I have both the USPc LEM in 40S&W and the P2000 LEM. My USPc is my duty weapon, and I've probably shot several thousand rounds in both models. I find the interchangeable backstrap and grip texture a lot more comfortable in the P2000. An ambidextrous slide release in the P2000 is nice as well as the universal rail versus the proprietary rail side of the USPc.

Both are pretty bombproof. The only issue I've experienced is with the stock magazine springs. I've gotten a FTE with the stock magazine springs in the 12-rounders. I've read that upgraded Wolff springs help.

Regards,
    ~V

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by loupav View Post
    cdmiller, just buy your wife a P2000!
    SSHHHH!!!!! Hush. Don't even think that.

I don't want her to get any ideas. We are expecting our first child at the end of December and I don't want her "redirecting" any more of MY firearms budget! She has gone into "nesting mode". I have had to postpone the next bolt gun to buy $1500 worth of nursery furniture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast