Thread: Gonna dive into precision rifle...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Gonna dive into precision rifle...

I've wanted a precision tactical rifle since I was in high school. I ended up buying an AR first but, im throwing around the idea of saving up some extra money for one, and maybe pickin on up in a year ish. I want to start planning things out, though. I'm goin for gold on this as, i know its something im going to dive into and really enjoy, so id rather just do it right the first time and have exactly what i want then start with something cheaper and spend a bunch of money and time making it right. I made that mistake with my AR...

The main purpose of this rifle is to be a long range sniping tool... deer, hogs, taking classes, punching paper, picking off people targets from exceptionally long ranges if shtf.

I'm going to have GAP build me the rifle, Ill start with their base rifle, and will upgrade the stock to an A5.

I'm going to be picking up some reloading equipment in the near future. so that being said, whats a good cartridge to go with? The ones i got in mind are..

6.5x47 Lapua
    .260 Remington
    .308 Winchester

If you guys got any ideas of something that may be a better choice, have at me. Since ill be reloading, im not really concerned with the availability and selection of factory ammo, I just want the best cartridge for the job.

From my understanding, it seems like 6.5x47 Lapua is the best option... what about 6.5 grendel?

I'm thinking nightforce or US optics for glass.

I'll also be picking up a surefire suppressor and muzzle break... for the 6.5 lapua, would i have to go with a 6.8 suppressor or a 7.62 suppressor?

Thanks in advance, cant wait to hear some input!
    Last edited by Mr.Goodtimes; 08-15-09 at 10:18.