Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 7 of 70

Thread: Bug Out Vest

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    909
    Feedback Score
    0

    Bug Out Vest

    The other thread about how many mags one shoul carry if SHTF got me thinking about carrying fewer mags on my FLC vest and what else I could carry instead for a SHTF(sorry to keep using this term, I'm getting sick of it too) on a vest. This resulted in me think about building something along the lines of what one might call a bug out vest(best name I could come up with). My idea is something that carries most of you survival necesities, but would always be with you, versus a pack that can't be worn while driving or may have to be jettisoned for whatever reason. That way you have enough stuff to keep you going for at least a day or two. So far all I can come up with would be a setup with the following.
    1. The vest itself
    2. A way to carry 3-4 m16 mags
    3. A good flashlight
    4. A knife and or multitool
    5. At least 2 quarts of water(proabably more?)
    6. A couple MREs
    7. A FAK
    8. Other little odds&ends one might need, like a lighter, spare batteries, etc.

    Does this sound like a good idea? I was thinking about picking up a few more of those vests so that I could have one for different situations and rifles, but I'm tyring to decide if this is a good idea so I can line up other gear I'll need for this.

    I hope this post made sense, I'm probably to tired to be posting complete thougths.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    818
    Feedback Score
    0
    The more I read these threads the more I think the people that hate firearms have a reason to hate guns.

    Seriously, has anyone used more than a mag in self defense since the civil war?

    If you are going to plan anything please make it water/food, and essential things. Im not saying drop your guns but you can spend your ideas and money on other things that will help more than having "500 mags full next to my bed".

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    163
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by perna View Post
    The more I read these threads the more I think the people that hate firearms have a reason to hate guns.

    Seriously, has anyone used more than a mag in self defense since the civil war?

    If you are going to plan anything please make it water/food, and essential things. Im not saying drop your guns but you can spend your ideas and money on other things that will help more than having "500 mags full next to my bed".
    105 shots in 2 minutes.

    http://www.afn.org/~guns/ayoob.html

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    163
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    1. The vest itself
    Okay, no problem here. I suppose this could easily be a coat/jacket, depending on the climate.
    2. A way to carry 3-4 m16 mags
    3 or 4 loaded rifle mags, all the time, anytime you're wearing the vest/coat? I'd probably prefer 2 pistol mags and leave the rifle mags in the car or BOB.
    3. A good flashlight
    I can agree with this, plus a spare set or two of CR123 cells
    4. A knife and or multitool
    Again, no question here.
    5. At least 2 quarts of water(proabably more?)
    That is at least 4 pounds of water... which is also rather bulky when bottled. Honestly, I might keep a single .5 liter bottle in my jacket pocket, but I can't imagine going around all the time with a half gallon of water strapped to my person.
    6. A coupl MREs
    Wow. MREs are REALLY bulky - you expect these to fit in a vest? I would think that a few powerbar/granola bar/cereal bars would be a more likely option. If you really want to maximize calories/volume you can get some of the mainstay rations.
    7. A FAK
    Nothing wrong here; I always carry a minimal FAK.
    8. Other little odds&ends one might need, like a lighter, spare batteries, etc.
    Sure, I don't see anything wrong with this either - spare change, lighter, sharpie marker, etc. are all things that people keep in their pockets that would prove very useful in certain situations.


    Looking at your list, I figure you expect to carry upwards of 15 pounds of extra gear about your body every day... because after all, isn't the point of EDC gear or a get home/bug out bag to have the stuff with you when you need it? Or am I totally missing the point here? The general concept is fine, but I think you might be better served to think along the lines of an ultralight hiker vs. an infantryman.

    Of course, if you are simply keeping the vest stashed somewhere and this is just for easy carry, then I see no reason why you can't load up all you want - presuming you are willing and able to carry it.
    Last edited by Chooie; 08-17-09 at 05:49.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    909
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    1. The vest itself
    Okay, no problem here. I suppose this could easily be a coat/jacket, depending on the climate.
    2. A way to carry 3-4 m16 mags
    3 or 4 loaded rifle mags, all the time, anytime you're wearing the vest/coat? I'd probably prefer 2 pistol mags and leave the rifle mags in the car or BOB.
    3. A good flashlight
    I can agree with this, plus a spare set or two of CR123 cells
    4. A knife and or multitool
    Again, no question here.
    5. At least 2 quarts of water(proabably more?)
    That is at least 4 pounds of water... which is also rather bulky when bottled. Honestly, I might keep a single .5 liter bottle in my jacket pocket, but I can't imagine going around all the time with a half gallon of water strapped to my person.
    6. A coupl MREs
    Wow. MREs are REALLY bulky - you expect these to fit in a vest? I would think that a few powerbar/granola bar/cereal bars would be a more likely option. If you really want to maximize calories/volume you can get some of the mainstay rations.
    7. A FAK
    Nothing wrong here; I always carry a minimal FAK.
    8. Other little odds&ends one might need, like a lighter, spare batteries, etc.
    Sure, I don't see anything wrong with this either - spare change, lighter, sharpie marker, etc. are all things that people keep in their pockets that would prove very useful in certain situations.


    Looking at your list, I figure you expect to carry upwards of 15 pounds of extra gear about your body every day... because after all, isn't the point of EDC gear or a get home/bug out bag to have the stuff with you when you need it? Or am I totally missing the point here? The general concept is fine, but I think you might be better served to think along the lines of an ultralight hiker vs. an infantryman.

    Of course, if you are simply keeping the vest stashed somewhere and this is just for easy carry, then I see no reason why you can't load up all you want - presuming you are willing and able to carry it.
    I don't think I explained this one fully. My idea wasn't to wear it every day, but instead keep it with a BOB as a supplement that could be kept on your person in the event that you need to leave. I was already having some troubles justifying the concept myself and I figured I would throw the idea out there to see what others thought.

    I probably am to optimistic about my plans for carrying that much food and water. I'll consider cutting back on the food, but considering my location I'm having troubles cutting back on water very much.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    163
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDak View Post
    I don't think I explained this one fully. My idea wasn't to wear it every day, but instead keep it with a BOB as a supplement that could be kept on your person in the event that you need to leave. I was already having some troubles justifying the concept myself and I figured I would throw the idea out there to see what others thought.

    I probably am to optimistic about my plans for carrying that much food and water. I'll consider cutting back on the food, but considering my location I'm having troubles cutting back on water very much.
    Aah, gotya - it is supplemental to your existing BOB. If that is the case, then I think you are on track. How do you plan on carrying the water? I suspect that standard 20 oz or 16.9 oz bottles would fit fine in a double mag pouch, but you might want to look into a camelbak or other hydration system. You would be able to carry a larger volume of drinking water with less bulk.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    965
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    OP-I have a Maxpedition Versipack set up in a similar manner...

    + full size handgun/mags
    - MRE and water

    A bigger version(i have the Fatboy) may allow an MRE or two and some water?


    Quote Originally Posted by perna View Post
    spend your ideas and money on other things that will help more than having "500 mags full next to my bed".


    I thought the OP wrote "3-4 mags" for a possible disaster scenario?


    The more I read these threads the more I think the people that hate firearms have a reason to hate guns.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •