Thread: Organisation Picture Thread

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Organisation Picture Thread

After reading a recent thread on organising a "Man Cave", and realising the sad state of affairs, in regards to my own preps, and the haphazard, disorderly fashion they're currently scattered about in, I decided to get going on some things.

Problem 1:

Emergency Candles

I currently have tons of these things, that reside in an oversized shopping bag my wife received at her bridal shower. Very, un-cool, very unsustainable, very unorganised. I didn't want to opt for ammunition cans, as I only have four calibres of ammo, and based on the can, each is individually distinguishable.

I wanted something to stash these in, outside of the box, that was:

1) More rugged
    2) More "Apocalypse-Friendly"

After perusing the usual haunts: Wal*Mart, Home Despot, Lowe's, Harbour Freight, etc., I found nothing remotely satisfactory for my needs. I suppose I could have stuck 'em in some cheap plastic tote, but that's no fun.

I began by verifying the size of the box of candles and comparing them to some scrap wood in the garage. Just barely enough room to fit, which is good, snug but not tight. Then I measured the width of the candle box, multiplied it by 10, and made that the length of my storage crate, double checking to determine that the length wouldn't be beyond my armspan and ability to lift by myself.

The sides were measured, cut, and assembled.

After some cutting, and wood-gluing, the rough box was assembled.

Once the basic crate was put together, two other pieces of scrap wood were cut to the length of the box, and used as risers.

Then, another piece of scrap wood was sawn in half, and placed in the middle of the sides, as handles.

The lid was the most difficult part, as at that point scrap wood was insufficient to span the length of the box. Two smaller strips were used for the lid, which is currently residing in the driveway to allow the wood glue to cure.

To join the lid, the two pieces were measured, marked, and drilled for dowels to span the gap/bond the two pieces. Since the lid *shouldn't* bear the brunt of any load carriage, the dowels/glue should be sufficient for my needs.

So far the "XM-100 EMERGENCY CANDLE" crate is only minus the hinges, and some paint to finish her off.

Total cost, thus far: $0.00

If my measurements & estimations are correct, I should be able to squeeze around 500 candles in this thing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 1:

With the lid glued, and hinges procured, all that was left was to attach the lid to the crate via the hinges/screws.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 2::

Painted and curing.

Update 3::

Fully cured, ready for stenciling.

Last edited by Outlander Systems; 08-15-09 at 17:21.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Like it. Now you just need to build a bunch more for the rest of your stash. I'm leaning towards buying ammo cans for storage; possibly a few custom boxes now also. I can also see the place some plastic boxes may hold for certain items. Cut down weight if need to hit the road. No need for a steel box to house tampons, soap, etc.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    No need for a steel box to house tampons, soap, etc.
    You say that, until you realise how much a tampon and some soap are worth in a post-nuclear holocaust.

Glad you dig it. I've made one for Isobutane Fuel, one for my Jetboil, and another for strike-anywhere matches.

This whole process arose out of the "Man-Cave" thread, and me saying, "Honey, where in God's holiest of names is the ****in' Jetboil"?

(Turned out it was in the closet, under a backpack, inside of a max-bag, which was buried behind ammo cans)

I was losing my mind, rapidly. The organisation at 'Ye Ole Landlord's crib is pathetic at best.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 08-26-09 at 19:45.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Cookin', Lightin', and Signalin':

Last edited by Outlander Systems; 10-25-09 at 19:42.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Looks like the old military crates from ww2 .Good job .MMM you got a candle I can Borrow

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by warpigM-4 View Post
    Looks like the old military crates from ww2 .Good job .MMM you got a candle I can Borrow

Those are just what could fit in the box. I painted the stencils based on the dimensions of the individual boxes. I managed to squeeze an extra hundred and fifty in there, for a grand slam of 550 wax-sticks.

Not to mention the leftover boxes.

I went way, way overboard on candles.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 10-25-09 at 19:44.