Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bug Out Vest

Feedback Score
    SoDak, I like where you are going with the vest idea and have done the same with a TT MAV.
    I'm not sure what type of SHTF scenario you are trying to prepare for or where you live. But the Idea of having something that can be worn comfortably and carry whatever you may need to keep going/fighting is a good one.
    I live in eathquake and fire country, if there was a massive earthquake, things could turn ugly really fast(NOLA/katrina) and I'd want to have as many mags as I could effectivel carry and still be mobile. For me this is 8-12 +2 on the gun.
    -instead of carrying so much water think about a purifying system, I like aquamira as it is light and very effective.
    -in place of MRE's think like an ultralight backpacker, freeze dried, dehydrated foods are lightweight and easy to cook. And stoves and pots are getting lighter and lighter. IF you're talking about long term survival think about a .22 and a slew of rounds
    -If you're trying to get rescued a signal mirror, flares, and fire starting goods
    -IFAK is a must, go with as much first aid gear as you can, that you know how to use

think about the area you live/work in, do you commute? Does it snow? Tornado country? Hurricanes? Earthquakes? Fires? Mudslides? Flashfloods? Or are you preparing for the 2legged SHTF? OR both?
    Consider these things and some I'm sure I missed, and plan accordingly. Think about what you really need, and what will keep you alive. If you live in NOLA, I'd ditch everything but the water, and load up on mags.
    Men acquire a particular quality by constantly acting a particular way. We become just by performing just actions, temperate by performing temperate actions, brave by performing brave actions-Aristotle

The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid-Marcus Aurelius

For these things give thanks at nightfall:
    The day gone, a guttered torch,
    A sword tested, the troth of a maid,
    Ice crossed, ale drunk- Havamal

Feedback Score
    I bought a 5.11 Tactical vest ( http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tave.html )just in case I'm seperated from my B.O.B.
    It stays in the car with my other gear. I think it will fullfill your needs. Alltoids tin fishing kit, Survival straw, emergency blanket, compass,fire kit,multi tool, you get the idea. 2 pockets on the back for water bottles. I got the khaki , not looking so tactical may avoid some troubles.
    Last edited by Rooster15; 08-18-09 at 09:01. Reason: none

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the imput guys. You've given me some ideas and better dircetion on this matter.

BTW if any of you guys are looking for a cheap molle vest, ghilliesuits.com is listing surplus FLC vests for $7.25 that are supposed to be new(I called and asked). I ended up getting 4 and they should be here on friday, so if you guys can hang on until then, I can give a report on these. I'm guessing they are just like the ones I got from sportsmansguide, but considering they were that cheap, I want to give them a good going over.

Feedback Score
    i like this idea, if it were low profile enough you could wear a large Carhart (sp?) jacket over it keeping out of the plain sight.

maybe if it were integrated with one of the larger blackhawk or camelback carriers, with the larger utility pouches you could fit quite a few meal replacement bars, and carry 100oz of water at the same time. then still have the molle across the front and shoulder straps.

Feedback Score
    My FLC vests form ghilliesuits.com came today. No surprises thankfully. They are NIW FLCs in desert camo from SDS that were made on 7/05. They are just like the ones from sportsmansguide which I guess is good, especially since these cost less. I don't think these are the greatest vests, but I don't think they can be beat for $7.25. So if anyone has been looking for a cheap molle vest to try out for whatever reason, I think one of these would be a decent place to start.

Here's a good thread from arfcom about these. It's got me thinking about dying a few of them green.
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=270564

Feedback Score
    I think it is an outstanding idea. Didn't the idea of the tactical vest spawn from the old Army/Navy survival vest? So evidently there has got to be some merit to it. Right?

But...

The tactical vest is pretty cool, but IMO limits your capability. I recommend keep everything modular and PALS/MOLLE compatible. I have a few chest rigs and plate carriers and a good duty belt that works with a Molle battle belt. Backpacks, rucksacks, purses... Sorry, shoulder bags, should be Molle compatible. This will allow you to set your gear up the way you want.

One thing I do disagree on is the idea of using a purse... Darn, sorry again, shoulder bag as a BOB. I have had a few and when loaded, bind on the neck, pull gear to one side and overall are extremely uncomfortable to use. I have carried significantly heavier loads with a pack with a fraction of the shoulder fatigue.

That was my 2 cents.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
    OP-I have a Maxpedition Versipack set up in a similar manner...

+ full size handgun/mags
    - MRE and water

A bigger version(i have the Fatboy) may allow an MRE or two and some water?

I thought the OP wrote "3-4 mags" for a possible disaster scenario?

I second the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. Holds an amazing amount of stuff. In mine I have:
    Handgun
    2 Spare HG Mags
    2 AR Mags
    Some Food from the Costco Emergency Food Bucket
    1 Liter Nalgene Bottle
    Lighter
    Magnesium Fire Starter
    Vaseline trenched cotton balls
    Compass
    Swiss Army Knife
    Emergency Blanket
    Signal Mirror
    A few "wet ones"
    Light Stick
    Surefire 6PL
    Water Purification Tabs
    N95 Mask

I'm still looking for a small med pouch that fits on the molle attachment point on the Jumbo...
    I have the "kit" but no intention bug-out if anything the kit will help me get home where I will Bug-In.
    Last edited by ColdDeadHands; 08-25-09 at 06:56.

Feedback Score
    I have some thoughts on the matter. If anyone cares I was a SERE instructor for almost 4 years for the military, and still teach in certain capacities to this day. I also own a company that sees a shit ton of gear of all descriptions and missions. I also have a job that requires me to remain low profile in a semi and non permissive environment.

I think carrying a bunch of gear in any sort of military fashion is a poor choice. I would much rather look inconspicuous than invite questions from ANYONE, good or bad.

One concept to think about is the ability to escalate or deescalate as the situation dictates. If you look like you're ready to get into a fight, guess what's probably going to happen?? Being prepared for a fight, but avoiding one, seems to me to be a better plan.

I think the vest concept has significant merit, but as a layering system. I wouldn't limit it to just a vest as some jackets or pullovers might work as well or better. It should work in conjunction with, and compliment, the things you have on your person everyday. It should also allow you to layer over it, with a backpack, shoulder bag, or even a vehicle. That's right, your vehicle might assume the role of your "third line" especially if you have a family.

I think with those parameters in mind I wouldn't worry much about water, but maybe water purification. If I were to carry water in a vest it would probably only be a liter or so.

Being so heavy on mags on this particular layer might not be best.

I wouldn't carry much food at all. I would "maybe" have one or two bars, specifically ones that do well in heat or cold.

Everything else you listed looks decent, but I would maybe consider a prepaid phone and/or card, and maybe an inexpensive GPS or compass.

All this talk about traps, snares, and fishing makes me question how realistic some of you are. have you guys actually tried to set snares and get food?? How about fishing with a survival kit?? That shit takes time and training. We're talking about being mobile and getting to somewhere we need to be, right?? **** some fishing and snares. Take a couple Clif bars and carry on. I'm not saying that shit doesn't have a place in survival, just not in the role the vest would fill.

Having a mask on this layer probably isn't necessary either. In the bag or trunk, yes.

I would also consider building multiple vests and having them all set up the same. Leave one in each car, one at work on the back of the chair, etc. Even if it seems redundant it gives you the ability to condense vests to one, or give one to your wife, friend, etc.

I'll throw something together and shoot some pictures to see if it gives anyone any ideas.
    Josh
    (w)910.323.4739
    www.GreyGroupTraining.com

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I agree with being low profile, here in Houston you couldn't layer clothing to hide the vest...way to hot. That's why I chose the Versipack, I have one for me and one for my wife.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for information zushwa. I'm interested to see your ideas on this subject.

One quick question if you don't mind me asking. One of the reasons I was interested in carrying a few quarts of water is that the area where I live has a decent amount of above ground water sources. The potential problem is that it is mostly in the form of stock dams. I was under the impression that if it's water that livestock uses that it's going to be dificult to treat. What's the real story on this?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast