Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bug Out Vest

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All good posts but here is something else to consider. IMO there are two types of bug out vets. The one that you use to get from work to your house and from your house to your zombie proof bunker. Which one do you want to outfit and how?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    HES- Alright, now you've gone and done it. Looks like we'll need to start a couple of more threads to deal with specific vests for specific situations. I'm in. Never hurts to think, consider, test, and plan.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Josh,

If you can, as you mentioned, post some pics of the "vest" concept you invision as a low pro, point a to b type set up. I would like to see that. Sounds like you might do something along the same lines as I would.

In general...

About low visbility and maintaining a low profile...it doesn't matter how you carry a load out. Whether it be vest or bug out bag of some kind, if you have a rifle or shotgun in your hand, you are bound to get someones attention, whether they be good guys or bad. While having a concealed vest have some merits, it isn't necessarily needed or even usefull with a visible long gun present. Attention will be drawn to the gun itself first, not the load carriage system.

I know someone is going to bring up low pro rifle carry bags...

The low pro rifle carry bags...a cool concept, but nothing screams gun today like multicam. Make sure they are low profile if that is what you are trying to achieve. By no means tacticool, a simple folding chair bag lined with a piece of the old foam sleeping pad will work for medium sized guns.

Pros and cons aside, during bad times if I had to be on foot from a vehicle, or outside the residence, I would go with a light weight vest set up. The TT two piece mav is great for this. The issue or surplus FLC's would also work fine. The FLC's are an effective and inexpensive way to have multiple vests set up and stashed in vehicles or wherever.
    Last edited by the judge; 08-27-09 at 20:32.

Feedback Score
    I'm still playing around with the layout but I'll get some pic's up tonight of what I'm thinking so far.
    Josh
    (w)910.323.4739
    www.GreyGroupTraining.com

Feedback Score
    Zushwa dude, great points.

I once spent about 22 days with 2 MRE's and a rabbit for chow,humping all over the sierra's(Im a hunter,country boy raised kid)and i ****ing starved to death. Lost 26 pounds in less than a month when i was in the best shape of my life.

I dont ever care to repeat that experience.

Some lessons that i learned...

1.) Trapping and snaring with field expedient rigged traps and snares...yeah i lost 26 pounds.

2.) Fishing...yeah i lost 26 pounds in PRIME German brown habbitat.

3.) After the first 4 days i dumped every ****ing piece of gear that didnt have a serial number on it out of my ruck/kit.

4.) Hunting ( a lot of "1 box of cartridges a year" hunters think they are going to feed their families by hunting during SHTF) you guys have any idea how many energy/calories you are going to expend trying to whack bambie? Especially i you have just done a long overland movement with minimal chow and dealing with all the other chores required to sustain life on a dialy basis?

I guess my point is that yes it is VITAL to know how to hunt/process game/fish/purify water/etc but dont rely completely on your ability to do so in a real situation. Bring enough food/water/supplies with you to get to your bug out spot QUICKLY. THEN set about improving security/upgrading shelter/prepping a food source(S)/finding a reliable water source etc.

Your strength/and ability to handle complex tasks will wane rapidly when you arent getting 3 squares a day and sleeping in clean sheets.

Have both a bug in plan,and a bug out plan and the supplies necessary to accomplish both onhand.

My plan is to invade Idaho if im stateside or Iran if it gets crazy over here

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Zushwa,

Great post.

The more I thought about it, the more I think I may be living in the capital of Booger Eater Land (no you don't want to see what their flag looks like).

I agree that the needs of a bug out vest would vary depending on the individual's AO, and the nature of the SHTF event. I do not think this can be a "one size fits all" thing, many of us might have different needs from a bug out vest.

I have long ago given up the idea of living off of the land hunting bunnies, bugs and rats. I have no desire to become a refugee. If forced to bug out, I plan on taking a nice leisurely drive to one of my BO locations.

But being the eternal pessimist, I also have a plan for when that plan goes to sh*t, and a back up plan for that one, and so on...

I'm a former cancer patient, now cancer free in recovery for the last 2 years. I only bring this up because I now appreciate being able to go out and jog every morning (Mon - Fri, I take the weekends off, I'm not THAT hard core any more). I do this because I still remember not being able to walk a block, while going through chemo/radiation treatments.

I feel that one of the best things an individual can do as far as survival and preparedness is to go get a physical. Listen to your doctor. he might actually know what he's talking about. If he thinks a few pounds need to go, then get away from the computer on a regular basis and get into shape! I am not attempting to sound like a jerk, but if you can not see the spare magazines on your belt due to your overhanging belly, that's what's known as a clue.

Sorry if I strayed from the topic a bit...
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 08-28-09 at 09:42.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Humpalot- Sounds like you had a bad experience. I've never had a run of luck like that. Guess it is possible. Your sample size is one so to say it extends to snaring/hunting/fishing in general is wrong. I've busted many a deer and some had to be tracked for extended distance, but the vast majority did not. I can spot deer trails/hides/bedding areas and know how to hunt accordingly. Don't tell me I can't do it. Apparently you aren't the hunter you think you are. Snaring? Guess you can't spot a game trail.

Beat Trash- If living of the land is not your thing, it's not your thing. I feel I could, and would, if necessary. Been there, done it. Have hunt and fished since I was physically able. Been it SHTF situations(Katrina, Lenny) and made out fine.

Would I lose weight and be hungry? Yep. Carrying all our necessary food supplies with us in a bug out scenario on foot? Not even close. We can pack vitamins and emergency rations. I can live of the land as I move towards my goal. Just because you can't it doesn't mean others can't.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Lots tougher to hunt deer when the woods are full of zombies.

Just sayin.

Feedback Score

actually my sample size was about 22 guys but yeah we all suffered. Get down with your bad ass self dude. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Okay, I read Josh's posts a couple times last night and now. Worth the read, methinks, but I've a couple related questions/thoughts.

When Josh described "bugging out", it sounds like his idea is to get from an area without sustaining gear to one with sustaining gear, am I right? Which means you carry whatever the absolute bare minimum you can to get to said area in as timely a manner as possible. Distance and time become a pretty important concepts here.

1) How long do you expect to be bugging anywhere?

2) How far do you expect to be bugging anywhere?

Can anyone explain to me why a vest would be a better idea than a school pack? Would the pack not be less conspicuous and carry more than what's described in the opening posts? Do you know how to use the stuff in a first aid or blow-out kit?
    Rifle mags imply a rifle: any plan on how to remain inconspicuous while carrying a rifle?

-B
    Last edited by BAC; 08-29-09 at 11:38.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast