Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HK P30 for CCW- really that uncomfortable?

Feedback Score

HK P30 for CCW- really that uncomfortable?

Gents,

I am looking to buy my handgun (9mm, primarily for CCW) this weekend at the gunshow, and have narrowed my choices down to:

1. HK P30
    2. Glock 19
    3. S&W M&P9c

Having shot those in the list, the HK P30 was remarkable. The grip was perfect for me, the slide release was the easiest for me to operate, and it was the most stable while shooting. The others were nice, don't get me wrong, and I would be happy with any of them, but the HK so far has my vote.

I keep hearing that the grips on the P30 would be hellacious to CCW due to it chewing up the skin on your side. Is this really an issue? Are there any holsters out there (Crossbreed Supertuck is one I am considering) that mitigate this? I'd hate to pass up this handgun just because of this

Any words of advice or personal experiences to share which could help me make the call? It'd be nice if I could walk around for a bit wearing each to see what's what.

Feedback Score
    Wear an undershirt. Problem solved.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You've shot one; did your hands survive?

M_P

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_pirate View Post
    You've shot one; did your hands survive?

M_P
    Love the new sig M_P happened to me a few times and I had the same WTF moment... Its happened a few times when hitting new posts instead of the back arrow also...

To the OP I wear a tshirt and have never had an issue even with my 10-8 G10's that are much more aggressive than my P30...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OvenMitts View Post
    I keep hearing that the grips on the P30 would be hellacious to CCW due to it chewing up the skin on your side.
    Whom, exactly, are you hearing this from? Further, how much time have they spent carrying a P30?

Is this really an issue?
    Given that I have met a few individuals who regularly carry a P30 concealed, and that I know of at least one dude that has spent the past x months with one crammed down the front of his pants without being reduced to tears from the pain of it or without having the weapon grind his gut into hamburger, I'm going to go out on a limb and say "No."

Now I have no personal experience carrying the P30 concealed, but my observations are based on watching those who have done so pretty extensively.

I'm willing to bet that the people you heard the "OMG it will kill you!" stuff from did not qualify their opinion...which should let you know just how much stock you should place in their opinion.

Any words of advice or personal experiences to share which could help me make the call?
    You've asked for an opinion on a forum where people actually know stuff and where we ban morons who bloviate on subjects where their cranium is clearly inserted up their rectum.

...so you've made a good first step.

My advice would be this:

The people who told you that are idiots and you should not listen to them. The P30 works perfectly well for concealed carry from what I've seen and when used with a good holster should more than meet whatever demands you are likely to put on it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    To expound on what was posted above I wear a:

Cotton wife beater from Target when it is 70ish or less

Wicking synthetic wife beater from Target when in is any warmer

Quality IWB

Cover garment i.e. another shirt

I have stippled my glock such that I strongly suspect they are no less abrasive than a P30. My set up has worked great to date both AIWB and traditional IWB

Feedback Score
    I'm down in Orlando Florida and I have no problem wearing a cotton undershirt all year round.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjin-san View Post
    I'm down in Orlando Florida and I have no problem wearing a cotton undershirt all year round.
    Outstanding !! another orlando member.

S.M.
    "I'd rather have a Bloody Mary made from the bandage drippings of a dozen Ebola victims than watch BattleField Earth again."

SeriousStudent

ToddG Guest
    I always wear a t-shirt or undershirt between the gun and my body, so I cannot speak from experience as to whether the grips would be uncomfortably abrasive if you wore it against your bare skin day in and day out.

Since the alternative is having a gun that is slippery and harder to control especially if my hands are wet (rain, blood, etc.) I think wearing the t-shirt is a minor sacrifice.

Feedback Score
    Mine really rubs my bare skin raw. I took a bicycle inner tube and cut rings and slid them around the grip. Now it's very comfortable and I don't notice losing much gripwise with this setup. Cost about $7.

Last edited by mourneblade; 11-17-09 at 18:55. Reason: add picture

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast