Thread: pined FH no longer OK?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

pined FH no longer OK?

I read in an other forum that pinning a flash Hider/comp is no longer accepted by the ATF. It has to be welded or silver soldered. Don't know if it been brought up here before.

2.1.3 Rifle. A rifle is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder and designed to use the energy of an explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled barrel for each single pull of the trigger. A rifle subject to the NFA has a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length....

(snip)

NOTE: Any muzzle attachment such as a compensator, choke device, muzzle break, etc., is not included in the barrel length measurement unless the attachment is permanently affixed to the barrel. Acceptable methods for permanently attaching a device to a shotgun barrel are deep penetrating, full fusion, gas or electric steel seam welds or high temperature silver solder.

ATF used to allow blind pinning -- drill a hole through the compensator into the barrel, insert a section of steel drill bit slightly shorter than the hole, weld over the top of the hole, file/dress the weld smooth, then spot-refinish. But this alternative was removed from the NFA Handbook between the 2008 and 2009 editions.
    Last edited by RojasTKD; 08-19-09 at 13:35.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    where is this from?

there's been some debate over some odd wording that ATF has used, but my understanding is that the conclusion is nothing has changed. they basically cannot outlaw the pin/weld method- there's probably a million pinned/welded barrels floating around out there.

a change of that order would pretty much require national media attention, as it would instantly convert hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people, into felons.

i'll put my money where my mouth is, too.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 08-19-09 at 13:46.

Feedback Score
    It says shotgun barrels.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Need more information. This looks like it would be a proposed rule change, but I can't find anything searching under "barrel" and "ATF" at regulations.gov. Similarly "rifle" and "ATF" only produces one rule change that took effect more than a year ago, but doesn't mention compensators.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I seem that thread I ran across is off base and not referring to rifles (spliced two different sections, it seems). Not rally sure... I was just surprised to see it and wanted to pass it along to see what you guys thought.

Seeing as I don't ever plan to use a permanently attached device to make a barrel 16" (seem like a waste to me). I'm not going to worry about it.
    Last edited by RojasTKD; 08-19-09 at 13:55.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RojasTKD View Post
    I read in an other forum that pinning a flash Hider/comp is no longer accepted by the ATF. It has to be welded or silver soldered. Don't know if it been brought up here before.
    Blind pinning and welding is still accepted. It was mistakenly omitted from the ATF Handbook, but that has been corrected. Read the following from ATF:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/0805...correction.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAR-AR-M16 View Post
    Blind pinning and welding is still accepted. It was mistakenly omitted from the ATF Handbook, but that has been corrected. Read the following from ATF:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/0805...correction.htm
    Thanks for the clarification.