Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: m1a scout vs. .308 AR

Feedback Score

m1a scout vs. .308 AR

i own a springfield M1A Scout. I've dressed it up with a mil-surp fiberglass stock painted OD, an MI light mount (no light on it right now), a harris bipod, and polymer cheek riser from Desert Warrior products. it sports a gen III SA scope mount, and (for now) a 3-9x $150 scope. Given the opportunity to have either this rifle or one of the various .308 AR variants out there, which would you pick, and why?
    Last edited by ABN Monk; 10-01-09 at 11:58.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    AR variant. Cheaper, more accurate, easier to work on, better to mount optics on, inherently more accurate. Did I mention more accurate without expensive stocks and/or bedding and aftermarket parts?

Feedback Score
    actually have both, loaded m1a {21" barrel} and bm bar10 {16" barrel}. prefer the m1a, you can do more to the ar10's youself as far as swapping out barrels but guess i'm just an m1a guy and i prefer the 21" + barrels over the shorty's. just me i guess. i did get the bar10 to swap out the 16" for a 24" for longer range but havent gotten around to it just yet. picked up the troy mcs last month, gonna replace the ace stock with a magpul prs.

9/11
    " eye for an eye, make'm die"
    SemperFi

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Depends on what you want to do with it.

Personally, I've never seen a 308 AR that wasn't finicky as all get out about ammo and mags. But like LL said, a lot of it is who built the rifle (both M1a and 308 ARs). I added it up once and to get really amazing, built like a tank & modernized M1A/M14 you're going to spend WAY over 3500 bucks.

Here's an example (extreme):

Bought a Norinco M14s for the forged receiver, sold off the parts for a 100.00 or so. 750.00
    Had it built by Fulton Armory, 2270.00
    Put it in a Troy Industries Chassis 580.00 (Dealer price if I recall correctly)
    Troy front and rear BUIS 150.00
    10 or so new 20 and 25rd Checkmate Industry Magazines 290.00
    LMT FDE SOPMOD Stock 215.00
    Magpul FDE MIAD 30.00
    Magpul Rail Covers 6x 60.00
    Trijicon scope and qd mounts 550.00
    Surefire X300 150.00

So, in that one M14s I have: 5045.00
    Last edited by KellyTTE; 08-19-09 at 21:34.
    Kelly H
    Yes, I know. No, I won't tell you.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    AR variant. Cheaper, more accurate, easier to work on, better to mount optics on, inherently more accurate. Did I mention more accurate without expensive stocks and/or bedding and aftermarket parts?
    Absolutely true, but if you need it to run buy the M1A! I don't care for M1A's and find AR types too finicky. Go FN FAL.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    That is a phukin bad ass m1/m14.... I love that "EBR" look on them...

I agree with considering a DSA SA-58 FAL as well...

An AR10 I would build from the ground up....
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    My DPMS LR308 gobbles up everything from 147gr surp to Federal match.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    When I was considering a precision gas gun the boys at GAP said the DPMS is as good as any. I've owned Eagle and Armalite and gave up on both. I've really considered just building a 6.5 or 6.8 but might have to revisit the issue.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Anybody with hands on experience with the Rock River LAR-8 .308?

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Both have their attributes.

With the current available configurations / options and real world operational deployment they CAN both be excellent choices.

I have used both operationally. Mine FLAT out run w/ ZERO issues.

Albeit, they do take some tweaking which is why you have SEI / GAP / Noveske work out the kinks etc.

I Don't have a favorite, they both are heavy comaparatively speaking to a M4 platform. BUT both comaparatively PENETRATE and a range superior to an M4 platform. Always a tradeoff there no doubt.

Ergonomically different in safety placements, charging mechanisms etc .

FWIW, both basically come in realistically @ somewhere about 13 lbs w/ all the MENs accoutrements.

HTH....in your quest...
    Last edited by VooDoo6Actual; 09-04-09 at 14:06. Reason: PUNKEDtuation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast