Thread: 7.62x39 XCR conversions

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)

7.62x39 XCR conversions

I didnt find this in a search; so I thought I would ask.
    Does anyone own an XCR in 7.62x39 that can attest reliability? I own one in 5.56, but was thinking of picking up the conversion receiver. If so, which 7.62 magazines are you using? I have grown quite fond of this rifle as of late. Thanks for any info. take care,
    mra

edit/ found this on m4.
    The problem with the 7.62x39 cartridge is that its case taper is too extreme. This greatly limits magazine options as you must follow the natural curvature of the cartridge stack in order to have the best magazine reliability. Even the Russians realized this and when they designed the 5.45x39 and the 9x39mm they changed the case dimensions to reduce the case taper. So, the 5.45x39 and 9x39 have a magazine curvature similar to the 5.56 which is more reliable and gives you more design options.

With an AR, XCR, or any other rifle with a longer magwell you're going to get problems with using the 7.62x39. The magwell is straight, and the extreme curvature of the 7.62x39 cartridge often causes feeding problems. You need very strong magazine springs and a high level of quality control on the magazine design to ensure good reliability. Personally, I'd rather stick with 5.56, 5.45, or 6.8 in an AR or XCR type rifle for the sake of optimized reliability.

/edit2 - and i posted in the wrong area... need to go decaf. sry mods
    Last edited by sadmin; 08-20-09 at 07:58.
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    well i own a XCR in 5.56, i have shot the 7.62x39 but do not ownt he conversion since i have a 7.62x39 AR upper. The new C products mags are working great though, we had great luck with them in the XCR i shot and in my AR15 upper