Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10-8 sights: brass bead vs. tritium

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

10-8 sights: brass bead vs. tritium

Which one do you prefer? I know the tritium is better for no-light conditions. Is the brass bead good in LOW light copnditions?

Jay

Feedback Score
    Yes, the brass bead is good in low light conditions. If there's any ambient light in the room, you can catch glimmers of it in the front sight. And if you're using a handheld light, and you get any light halo on the sights, the front bead shines brightly.

During the daylight, when night sights turn into irons, the brass bead is still very prominent. I run the 10-8 brass bead on my carry gun, and I really like it. when the bead gets tarnished, it's easy to polish back to full brightness.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think it is important that you "see" how your eyes see the sights in the conditions you want to employ them. Only you can determine how well your eyes work with the sights.

Also, I have shot in low light and darkness and I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting without first identifying the target with white light. If that means I have to adapt my tactics, so be it. As such, I am starting to see less and less benefit to night sights.

M_P

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've got a GOLD bead front with a 10-8 rear on my M&P (not brass). I concur that in any lighting EXCEPT total darkness the gold bead beats tritium. In moderate and bright light, the gold beats all other sights (especially when combined with the U-notch of the 10-8).

I've purchased a brass bead/10-8 set for one of my Glocks but have not installed them yet. The pros for the brass (vs Gold) are: more availability, lower cost, probably more rugged (since gold is softer than brass)

The cons for the brass are: more maintenance.

Novak will custom make gold beads to any specification (for a price). My 10-8 Gold bead front was custom made by Burwell gunsmithing
    http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have used both tritium and gold beads. I prefer the gold bead. It lasts forever and is very effective in all but total darkness. You will have to find out what works best for you. I have used gold beads that are .125" and they overpower the post. They appear as gold dots to my eyes. I have found the smaller beads work best for me.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    WOW! I totally agree with you guys. I actually drilled an installed a gold bead in my Colt Officer's model a while back and I agree, it is superior to the tritium in every lighting condition except for a about 10 minutes before dead dark. It really draws the eye and has sped up my steel shooting considerably.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I really like the brass or gold bead as well, however I had Tool Tech add a single yellow dot to my rear 10-8 sight, and then replace the Springfield tritium tube with a white outlined tube and I am really impressed with the results. I guess for me I like white outlined tritium best.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    http://books.google.com/books?id=mQ2...volver&f=false

It only took us 60 or 70 years to figure out that Ed McGivern knew a thing or two about pistol shooting.

ToddG Guest
    I have fairly limited experience with the metal bead front sights. However, I got to play with one in realistic (as opposed to "range") lighting conditions and did not find them as suitable as tritium sights. There were lighting conditions in which I could have identified and engaged a threat but the front sight was not adequately visible.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    I really like the brass or gold bead as well, however I had Tool Tech add a single yellow dot to my rear 10-8 sight, and then replace the Springfield tritium tube with a white outlined tube and I am really impressed with the results. I guess for me I like white outlined tritium best.

I had the same idea when I had mine done. I really like the way the white outline "pops" on the front sight.
    Product Manager at Magpul Industries

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast