Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How far can you possibly drop game with Buckshot?

Feedback Score

How far can you possibly drop game with Buckshot?

Howdy All,

When I joined the border patrol, some of the old salty dogs said that the old magnum buckshot we used to use would kill a coyote at 100 yrds. (They didn't say if it was 2 or 4 legged lol ) I thought that was a bit of a stretch, but let me ask guys that are in states where you HAVE to use buckshot to hunt deer: How far out can you drop deer sized game with a 12gauge shotgun, using shot?

I had my 870 at the range and it seemed that 25 yards was the max effective range, like 6 or 7 out of 8, 12 gauge 00 pellets on target. I plan to dump the LE reduced recoil rounds I have and pattern standard and magnum 00 buckshot rounds and see how they do with the cylinder bore the 870 has. Then , I will take my Benelli M4 out and see how it does with different, smaller, chokes.

Has anybody done this already and can you send me your results to save me some time?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by USBP379 View Post
    Howdy All,

When I joined the border patrol, some of the old salty dogs said that the old magnum buckshot we used to use would kill a coyote at 100 yrds. (They didn't say if it was 2 or 4 legged lol ) I thought that was a bit of a stretch, but let me ask guys that are in states where you HAVE to use buckshot to hunt deer: How far out can you drop deer sized game with a 12gauge shotgun, using shot?

I had my 870 at the range and it seemed that 25 yards was the max effective range, like 6 or 7 out of 8, 12 gauge 00 pellets on target. I plan to dump the LE reduced recoil rounds I have and pattern standard and magnum 00 buckshot rounds and see how they do with the cylinder bore the 870 has. Then , I will take my Benelli M4 out and see how it does with different, smaller, chokes.

Has anybody done this already and can you send me your results to save me some time?

Thanks.
    You are better off with the reduced recoil tactical loads.
    Check out my thread on pattern testing.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=36349
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Were the old salts talking about the 4 Buck loads the feds used for a long time, along with the military?

We have a circuit court judge, a former SEAL officer w SE Asia tour in Teams, who swears by 4 Buck for everything as a result of his real world experience: seeing a variety of species including humans killed with it.

For game shooting chores and to save a lot of time and money, check out the NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results thread on the Firearms page of predatormasterforums.com.

You now have to become a member to view that forum. Used to be open to public and I read and viewed hundreds of posts and pattern photography a couple months back. Fixing to join myself.

Buckshot is a touchy subject for hunting and fighting.

Had a friend in AF who grew up deerhunting in VA with buck and he said they regularly killed deer out to 100 yards but it often took multiple shots.

I hit a crippled deer with a full power 3-in. 000 load at 15 yards on duty one day. It dropped, with steam issuing from multiple chest cavity holes, then started scrambling away again and I killed it with a shot to the neck with a 9mm.

While issued LR Remington buck and slug for work these days I personally think full power, plated buckshot that spreads rapidly and full power Brennekes are the correct loads to use for LE/combat work in this age of carbines.

I view buckshot as useful for building searches and manhunts in brushy areas, therefore I want it to spread. Others want a palm-sized group beyond 25 yards.

For critters up to coyote, read that thread cited above. Wingmaster HD loads in BB and 2 size are getting favorable mention and a bit less spendy in some areas than HeviShot Dead Coyote loads.

To kill deer use a slug.

Finally, will they let you carry specialty rounds to kill varmints/game with your duty 870? Planning on toting your Benelli with a longer barrel or does your's take screw in choke tubes?

If they don't freak about personal rounds or weapons in the truck (imagine things are a bit more PC since Skeeter Skelton and Charles Askin's era), you might be better with an AR with a low powered scope for a lot of vermin reduction in the SW.

For rattlers, practice a "Select Trap Load" drill!
    Last edited by Dan Goodwin; 08-22-09 at 07:33.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " _ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The low recoil Federal Flightcontrol OO buck patterns better than anything else I have ever seen, buckshot wise.
    It will dump all 9 pellets into a volley ball sized pattern at the 25, and will keep most of the pellets in the circle of an IALEFI-Q target (and normally all on the silhouette) at 50 yards.

Feedback Score
    Buckshot like any thing else depends on loads and the choke of your shotgun , use all the time here in the VA area I hunt, now mostly in the 3 1/2 10 ga but basicly the same, in 12ga.

100 yards maybe good hits, and maybe kills, No -4 is crap no matter what some says, I used in the RVN and went to 00 as soon aas I could get my hands on some, same reason PD"S moved away from no-4 buck.

My guns seem to prefer runing improved modified chokes with 00 and I can keep 6 out of a 9 pellet load in side of a 10" dinner at 60 yards in the 12 ga 2 3/4 loads

buy a few different loads and try them in your gun, is the best way to do it.

Remember for hunting your looking for sure kills, war time use all they care about is serious wounding to drag down the other side
    "A shot never fired is always a miss"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Patternmaster chokes work well with buckshot that has a shot cup.

http://patternmaster.com/about-patternmaster-chokes/
    Last edited by DBR; 08-22-09 at 18:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    The low recoil Federal Flightcontrol OO buck patterns better than anything else I have ever seen, buckshot wise.
    Agree. The Hornady TAP is equally good in my experience.

Vang-Comped shotguns can do well with most loads at distance, but particularly well with the Federal.

I won't intentionally take a shotgun to a 25yd+ fight, but if I have to, it can work.

Deer hunting with a SG? Slugs, please.

Photo below is a Moss 590, 25yds, Fed 9-pellet 12ga 2-3/4 LE buck, w/ FCW.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree that #4 isn't a good choice, too low on penetration in my experience.

Feedback Score
    Just read OP (who appears to be BP in San Antonio area) more carefully and he is asking about killing deer-sized game with his duty SG or personal Benelli. Not loads for fighting.

If he's allowed to take a deer/javelina/exotic game while on duty he should use a slug. If he's talking about off duty, he needs to get a flat shooting rifle or keep one in the duty vehicle for that purpose.

What does the BP issue/allow you guys in terms of firearms & ammo these days, BTW?

Judging from recent news, it appears the government frowns upon them shooting people trying to hurt them let alone "Bambi".

P.S. Wish Remington would make a HD load in 4 Buck...
    Last edited by Dan Goodwin; 08-23-09 at 07:35.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " _ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    My Dad killed a deer at 90 yards using 3'' magnum 000 buck many years ago.
    Should add he only had 2 pellets hit the deer and was lucky to have found it afterwords.
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 08-23-09 at 09:37.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast