Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How far can you possibly drop game with Buckshot?

Feedback Score
    Buckshot is legal in MI for deer and bear. I'd limit my shots to 25-30y max with a very dense pattern.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Goodwin View Post
    Were the old salts talking about the 4 Buck loads the feds used for a long time, along with the military?

Yes. The full-power #4 stuff is what the "old salts" swore by. I talked to several who bemoaned the switch from #4 to 00.

Our current 870 shotguns are 14" barrels with modified choke and will hold a tight pattern out to 35 yards and beyond with Remington reduced recoil 00.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Shooting at deer with buckshot past 25 yards is a stunt, one that should be avoided.

I know a copper that killed a bad guy at 110 yards with an 870 loaded with OO, but it took him four rounds to get a single pellet on the guy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have killed deer with a shotgun with buckshot twice, once with #4 and once with 000 buckshot. The one with #4 was a small deer at about 30 yards, a large amount of the buckshot was found under the skin in the neck area, the one with the 000 was at about 40 yards and was hit with 3 pellets out of 8. All three were complete pass throughs, one in the head and two through the chest.
    I would shoot till the animal fell regardless of the buckshot load and would consider 40 yards about maximum with any size.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Yes. The full-power #4 stuff is what the "old salts" swore by. I talked to several who bemoaned the switch from #4 to 00.

Our current 870 shotguns are 14" barrels with modified choke and will hold a tight pattern out to 35 yards and beyond with Remington reduced recoil 00.
    I know a lot of the terrain along the Rio Grande has thick vegetation and back in the '20s and '30s a nice wide pattern of .24-caliber Blue Whistlers might have been reassuring during the frequent BP firefights.

I'm issued the same SG and load as y'all and would prefer a wider pattern for the things I'm likely to use a shotgun for these days.

If it didn't kick like a mule, the Beretta Xtrema2 with extended tube and loading the 54-pellet 4 Buck 3.5-in. load would be ideal for manhunts in brushy areas. HeviShot 4 Buck or HD 4 Buck would definitely improve penetration.
    Last edited by Dan Goodwin; 08-25-09 at 16:49.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " _ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The problem with #4 buck is it lacks sufficient penetration to reliably stop threats. Hence its lack of popularity in today's world.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Alaskapopo; I read your stuff and agree with almost all your views. I dig your AO and wish I'd moved there when I got out of college in the '80s. And I are a popo, too.

But we'll have to agree to disagree on 4 Buck. People who regularly kill things other than people swear by it. And people whom I know are the real deal used it to kill fairly small humans in a land far away in the 1960s. Think some BP guys have done well with it a few decades back, too.

This dude is asking about killing deer-sized game in Texas which means relatively scrawny deer in body size.

I also believe if the same shot technology was applied to 4 Buck as has been applied to 00 and 000 we'd see better performance on human critters as well as game.

As it stands now, I keep my personal 870 stoked with WW Supreme 41-pellet 4 Buck for my house and backyard because I believe there is a lot to be said for target saturation. Ten yards is a long shot in my house and I'm pretty sure a fist-sized pattern will usher a bad guy to eternity pretty dang quick.

Stay safe, brother.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " _ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Goodwin View Post
    Alaskapopo; I read your stuff and agree with almost all your views. I dig your AO and wish I'd moved there when I got out of college in the '80s. And I are a popo, too.

But we'll have to agree to disagree on 4 Buck. People who regularly kill things other than people swear by it. And people whom I know are the real deal used it to kill fairly small humans in a land far away in the 1960s. Think some BP guys have done well with it a few decades back, too.

This dude is asking about killing deer-sized game in Texas which means relatively scrawny deer in body size.

I also believe if the same shot technology was applied to 4 Buck as has been applied to 00 and 000 we'd see better performance on human critters as well as game.

As it stands now, I keep my personal 870 stoked with WW Supreme 41-pellet 4 Buck for my house and backyard because I believe there is a lot to be said for target saturation. Ten yards is a long shot in my house and I'm pretty sure a fist-sized pattern will usher a bad guy to eternity pretty dang quick.

Stay safe, brother.
    No worries its cool to agree to disagree. I have only killed stuff with slugs (bear) and never buck shot so my real experiences is more limited on the subject.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    OT, but were the bears you had to shoot on duty and if so, were they cripples that needed euthanizing or problem bears that were getting too nasty?

Brennekes, I presume, and they smashed them?

Only thing I've killed with a Brenneke (KO Sabot)was a big whitetail, hunting, with my tiny Narc shotgun: training and backstraps...can't beat it. Fastest kill with a heart-lung shot in my experience.

Feedback Score
    I never shot 00 buck 12ga. over 25yrds,but at 25yrds I know it would do the trick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast