Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How far can you possibly drop game with Buckshot?

Feedback Score

Buck Shot/ Hunting Loads

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Goodwin View Post
    For game shooting chores and to save a lot of time and money, check out the NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results thread on the Firearms page of predatormasterforums.com.

Buckshot is a touchy subject for hunting and fighting.

I hit a crippled deer with a full power 3-in. 000 load at 15 yards on duty one day. It dropped, with steam issuing from multiple chest cavity holes, then started scrambling away again and I killed it with a shot to the neck.

For critters up to coyote, read that thread cited above. Wingmaster HD loads in BB and 2 size are getting favorable mention and a bit less spendy in some areas than HeviShot Dead Coyote loads.

To kill deer use a slug.

I would have to agree with Dan on the choke tubes.

I was watching a hunting show a couple of months ago on satillite TV (I think show was called Predator Quest?) and they showed two guys killing crows at 100 and 150 Yards with those choke tubes (bird shot)!

I wouldn't have believed it if I did not see the footage for myself.

The first thing I thought about was whether or not those tubes could extend the range of buckshot. However, one problem that would certainly be a factor is penetration as Pat mentioned.

Now, I am certainly no great white hunter, but I have shot a lot of game with a shotgun. Specifically, A Remington 870 with a 30" Full choke. I took quite a few jackrabbits and coyotes at extended ranges with Remington 3" Magnum Lead BB shotshells (copper plated with buffer). With all of the Steel shot regs. now, I am not even sure if these shells are loaded anylonger (I still have a few left). But, Brother let me tell you hitting a Jack Rabbit at 50-60 yards with that load practically ripped them in two.

I didn't shot any deer with that load or buckshot, but I'm pretty sure it would take one down at short range with no problem.

As for the 00 Buck shot. I took my shotgun (Wilson's 870 Standard Model 18" CYL Bore barrel) to a rifle range with a 200 yard berm and fired-off a couple of boxes of Standard Federal Classic 2 3/4" 00 Buck loads. Although it was by no means scientific, I noted that at 100 yards when firing into a dirt berm there was enough of the pellets to hit a man-size target, but the amount of dispersal would've certainly resulted in misses at that distance. As for 200 yards, the pellets were all over the place.

Although, it is not unfathamable for a few pellet strikes to result in a fatal wound at 100 yards, I (it would seem from my little experiment) wouldn't be willing to bet my life on it or cripple a deer sized animal to find-out.

Again, with shotshell loads penetration is always going to be a major issue because buckshot or any pellets for that matter are basically lead balls with very little to no BC and subject to significant velocity loss. Round .33 caliber sized pellets just seem to lose steam pretty fast past.

Then couple the resultant velocity loss with the inevitable shot spread and it will result in sub-optimal performance.

In conclusion, I would have to agree that 00 or even 000 Buckshot used at 25-30 yards Max. would be a better choice for medium size game and even anti-personnel use if a Shotgun was mandated.

Regards
    SkiDevil

P.S. As another member commented on the 12 GA Hornandy TAP 00 Buckshot it does group extremely tight groups in most guns. If I wanted to truly experiment at distance with Buckshot. Then I would acquire this particular load and try it out of a long barreled shotgun with the Pattern Master tubes.

Link: http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-PAT001S

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have seen hogs die at 50 yards from 00 buck, but I wouldn't recommend it for people that are hunting for food. This was just a hog ambush in a crop field and we were trying to kill as many as possible.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    When I get a new shotgun, I pattern a lot of different loads through several choke constrictions. So far, the best I have found is Federal's Power Shok OOO 2.75" 8-pellet load.

At 25 yards, all 8 pellets are in about a 12-14" circle, evenly dispersed. At 40 yards, 7/8 were within about 17". At 60 yards, 6/8 were within 23".

This was using a Modified choke. Due to lack of clumping or stringing, I think I can squeeze the shot down even further. I will be experimenting with an IMOD and a FULL choke tomorrow possibly. I am hoping for 6+ pellets in a 14" circle at 50 yards with the FULL. We will see.

I have tried the Kick's Buck-kicker choke-tubes and found that my shotgun did best with Briley flush OEM replacement style tubes.
    Last edited by WS6; 11-19-09 at 21:22.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123