Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy vs. reputation - my CCW quandary

Feedback Score

Accuracy vs. reputation - my CCW quandary

I've got a dilemma right now. After getting my Jericho 941 on a whim I find ironically that I shoot significantly better with it than any other gun I've tried.

I'm currently carrying an XDm .40 but had ordered an M&P40 to replace it, which has yet to arrive. I decided to switch because of the M&Ps great reputation, DAO action, and optional thumb safety. I don't shoot any better with either the 9mm or .40 M&Ps I've tried though versus other pistols.

Now I'm wondering if I should consider a CZ or CZ-clone instead. I don't really think I could go with another Jericho because I don't like the slide-mounted safety but maybe a CZ P07 would do.

Of course, I can't be certain that I can shoot as well with a P07 as with my Jericho until I can try one but if for the sake of argument that was the case, which then would be the better choice - an M&P that I can shoot okay but has a great reputation for reliability or a CZ that I can shoot great but doesn't have as good a reputation though still an okay one?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just pick one, buy a crapload of ammo for it and shoot with it exclusively...

I personally would pick the M&P from that bunch...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've had two CZ's and broke slide stops in both in less than 5000rds in either gun. Not my idea of durability especially as a CCW. Stick with a Glock or M&P they have proved to be durable in either caliber.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Have you considered spending money on training instead of a pile of second-rate pistols?

M_P

Feedback Score
    I agree with MP. It's a training issue. It will be money well spent and saved taking a basic, then an advance pistol course, instead of throwing a bunch of rounds down range and re-enforcing bad habits that will get you no where. You will be building 'muscle memory" in the wrong direction without training. You may also want to check out the training forum and check out the various pistol drills posted there.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rharris2163 View Post
    I agree with MP. It's a training issue. It will be money well spent and saved taking a basic, then an advance pistol course, instead of throwing a bunch of rounds down range and re-enforcing bad habits that will get you no where. You will be building 'muscle memory" in the wrong direction without training. You may also want to check out the training forum and check out the various pistol drills posted there.
    That's what I meant...just forgot to mention it....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_pirate View Post
    Have you considered spending money on training instead of a pile of second-rate pistols?

M_P
    nyuk...

never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I own a MP9 full size, MP9c, and a CZ P-01. I love all three and have had no issues with any of them. I usually carry the CZ because I shoot marginally better with it and I just prefer the feel of it in my hands. I think the MP is a great gun and has a great reputation and would not hesitate in carrying it. Like others have said, for a carry gun I would just pick one (one that feels good though), get training, and practice.

Now, on the other hand, if you want to buy more guns cause you like to try different guns and owning different guns, I totally understand.
    Last edited by vel525; 08-26-09 at 16:30.

Feedback Score
    From the guns mentioned, I'd get the M&P and call it day. Then focus on range time and training.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    Regardless of which gun I ultimately choose I definitely would spend a lot of time training. I'm at the range 4-6 times a month as it stands since I know I still have to improve and have every intention of attending more advanced training once I have the dosh and time for it.

The main question I have though for this thread can be distilled into a simple question I guess: How much weight should be given to how a gun shoots for you in the decision on a carry piece?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast