Thread: American Eagle XM193 is it me or ...

Feedback Score

American Eagle XM193 is it me or ...

Is this stuff really this bad?

Here's the setup

DDM4 with a DD midlength 16" barrel, 1/7 twist chrome lined 4150.

50yd zero with Blackhills Bluebox 75gr .223 Match Hollow point.

Resting the fore end on a rest I consistently get groups in the 1 to 1 and 1/4 inch range centered around the bullseye.

I switch to Am Eagle XM193 bulk pack stuff (400 rd packs with 4 boxes of 100 in the case) 55 gr 5.56. Groups are consistently 1.5 to 2.25 inches, and a half inch low and 2 inches to the left of the Black Hills.

I can then switch back to the Black Hills and I'm back to the tight groups in the bullseye.

I've had this same experience the last 3 range trips.

I'm very happy with the Black Hills for HD/SHTF but it's kind of expensive for range ammo.

I guess I can compensate for the zero but it's somewhat dissatisfying to shoot so crappily (is that a word) when I know I've got better stuff in the bag.
    Last edited by shadco; 08-30-09 at 20:03.
    Shad
    ------
    I knew where I was when I wrote this..
    I don't know where I am now.

Les Baer PII .45
    Sig Sauer E26BR-9-BWTAC
    Daniel Defense M4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Current production XM193 is pretty mediocre ammo. Many would find that description generous. Marginal accuracy and pressure signs are a bit of a norm.

Depending on your standards, there's very little ammo with consistently high quality, consistency, and performance. BHA is one. Pay what it costs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Current production XM193 is pretty mediocre ammo. Many would find that description generous. Marginal accuracy and pressure signs are a bit of a norm.

Depending on your standards, there's very little ammo with consistently high quality, consistency, and performance. BHA is one. Pay what it costs.
    I tend to agree.

When I first upgraded the barrel on my DD I zeroed at 50 yds with the XM193, I wasn't happy 2 inch or greater groups, I ran a couple of 5 rd groups with the BH and it was high an right but they were tighter. I said screw it packed it in and went home.

Next time out I zeroed with the BH you can see the patterns on the target below, I started out with the zero I had with the XM193. Once I got zeroed with the BH I switched back to the XM193 and I got the low and left looser groups scenario.

I tested it out at the range again yesterday with the exact same results.

Would Priv Partizan 62 gr be more consistant, the BH is costing me about 55 cents per round.

Shad
    ------
    I knew where I was when I wrote this..
    I don't know where I am now.

Les Baer PII .45
    Sig Sauer E26BR-9-BWTAC
    Daniel Defense M4