Thread: .223 Wylde headspace

Feedback Score

.223 Wylde headspace

Hey guys,
    I have an AR that has a .223 Wylde Chamber and I have another AR that is 5.56 Nato chambered. Well I was using my RCBS headspace mic gauge and compaired fired brass from the two chambers. The brass from my .223 Wylde measured .003 larger from the case head to the datum line then the brass from my 5.56 Nato chamber. Wouldnt you think the Wylde chamber should be shorter then the Nato chamber? I am not sure what to think on this. Maybe since the Wylde is a tighter chamber the pressure built faster and full expanded the case to fit the chamber where as the 5.56 chamber is larger and possibly did not expand the case all the way to fill the chamber? The gun with the Wylde chamber has a 20" barrel and the 5.56 is 16". I also used the same ammo in both guns, and both guns functioned perfectly with this ammo.

What do you guys think?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i think your theory could make sense... or perhaps your 556 throat is undersized (very common). what brand is the 556?
    Last edited by bkb0000; 08-27-09 at 14:59.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    i think your theory could make sense... or perhaps your 556 throat is undersized (very common). what brand is the 556?
    The 5.56 gun is a Stag.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    stag has a lot better rep than any of the other commercial-grade manufacturers, but i wouldn't be surprised if it's not a true 5.56. know anybody with a known-good 5.56 reamer?

Feedback Score
    No I dont know anyone with a reamer. The Stag has run perfectly so far and so has my RRA Predator Pursuit. I just thought it was a little weird that my Wylde chamber was that much longer. I am going to have to mic my buddies Colt and see what his chamber measures in comparison.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My buddy has a Stag "M4" and the chamber is on the tight side but RR guns typically are as well. Things that make you go hmmmm.....
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck