Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galco Royal Guard Holster?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Galco Royal Guard Holster?

I was looking at the Galco Royal Guard Inside the Pant holster for my 1911. It is made of Horsehide and the same basic design as the summer comfort. Does anyone have experince, pro's con's etc. It list for $124.00. I can get a Black Ops from custom carry for $175 that gives both inside and outside carry. Any thoughts guys.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-27-09 at 18:43.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have several of these for different pistols....Glock, SIG, Beretta, 1911. I like them much more than the Summer Comfort as the horsehide is more sturdy and the loops allow for a lower fit to the belt than the Summer Comfort. I've had the Glock 19 and 5" 1911 versions since the early 2000s and they are still going strong.
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    I have one and it has held up well. I've always been pleased with Galco products and their customer service.

-B

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have one and like it. For whatever reason it seems particularly comfortable. I actually dumped a Milt Sparks SUmmer Special II in favor of this for a Glock 19. That's about as much as I can say--a sample of one.

Feedback Score

I have one for my 5" 1911

Best holster in the $100 off the shelf range IMHO.

Alos love High Noon, Del Fatti, Milt Sparks in the $150/$200 class. For a production product it is damn nice.

Feedback Score
    I've had one for three years now and my experience echoes everything that's already been said. I especially like the horsehide as it's more impervious to moisture and that really helps when dealing with Missouri's humidity. I'm a big fan of Galco products and believe you'd be hard-pressed to find a better "mass produced" holster.

Feedback Score
    I have several of them, for my SIG P225/P229, and my 1911/Hi-Power, and have used them for over 10 years. They're very comfortable and well made. I completely concur with the comments about Galco's quality and customer service-both are excellent.

The Royal Guards do not have a sweat shield; operationally this is of no issue to me (although I generally prefer to have them)-the construction of the holsters is such that the hammers don't dig into your side (particularly nice with a cocked-and-locked Hi-Power/1911, especially if the hammer spurs are somewhat sharp).

Best, Jon

Feedback Score
    I have several Galco holsters and they are a very good off the shelf holster. They are a bit over priced compared to Sparks or Alessi. Brownells has the Sparks Summer Special in stock most of the time.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    brownells has milt sparks Summer Special II's in stock for the 1911. It would save you about 30 bucks from what you are saying the galco is, its much better made in my opinon (and from the sounds of it many others) and it has the sweat shield. I would say go with that option. When I ordered mine since they are in stock it only takes about 3 days.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    brownells has milt sparks Summer Special II's in stock for the 1911. It would save you about 30 bucks from what you are saying the galco is, its much better made in my opinon (and from the sounds of it many others) and it has the sweat shield. I would say go with that option. When I ordered mine since they are in stock it only takes about 3 days.
    Sound advice...

I think you will find the original Sparks Summer Special as well as the Summer Special 2 to both be far superior to the Galco product which is largely based on the Summer Special design.

I have worn them all and can tell you that, in my opinion, when compared to the Galco the original Summer Special is a far superior holster in every way. While not stocked by Brownells the S/S can often be had with immediate delivery from Lightning Arms Sports. Should you want a slightly lower ride and sweat shield the Summer Special 2 would be the way to go and as mentioned above is generally available from Brownells.

Other quality holster options along the same lines as the Summer Special can be had from John Ralston @ 5 Shot Leather, Josh Bulman, and Matt Delfatti... all have made me holsters of similar design to the S/S and any of them would be a better choice if you are willing to wait or can find one readily available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast