Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing reloading components/ Dillon 550B

Feedback Score

Purchasing reloading components/ Dillon 550B

Greetings. Today I picked up my Dillon RL550B from the gun show, and ordered a set of .40 cal carbide pistol dies (also Dillon). Also on it's way is the stand for the press. So I wasn't able to mount it yet. Perfect time to read and reread the manual. Which I have. I also picked up the "Lyman Reloading Handbood" "49th Edition" and read the intro chapters. I've been shooting for years and recently decided to engage in the reloading hobby to cut my costs. Thank you to those of you who've posted on this subject. I've found your info most useful. In particular I would like to know where you find the best deals for your components and reputable dealers. I've already looked through the ammo links. But I'm sure some of you have your preferences. I'll be starting off with .40 and moving into .223/5.56 loads eventually. Those are my two calibers of choice. Also what tips might some of you have for setting the dies. Any pics out there of the steps and stages? Thank you for your time.
    David

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    1. Take your time and load in small lots at first. (10-20 rounds.) For pistol you can use a barrel out of your weapon for a basic case guage if you don't have a dedicated guage.... I don't find pistol case guages to be a necessity.

2. A rifle case guage is mandatory in MY opinion. Follow it religiously with regard to the min/max headspace parameters.

3. Set up a dedicated resize and decap toolhead for rifle. I don't know of any veteran loaders who build rifle ammo in full progressive mode.

Feedback Score
    What part of Florida are you from? I know most of the Bass Pro stores there get primers out on the shelf around 10-12 in the morning.

Feedback Score
    the best advice I can offer is to make sure that you buy your components in bulk whenever you come across a really good deal. I started reloading about 10 years ago and wish I would have bought in bulk early on, the cost of components have skyrocketed compared to what I used to pay back in the day.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RemMan700 View Post
    What part of Florida are you from? I know most of the Bass Pro stores there get primers out on the shelf around 10-12 in the morning.
    Winter Garden, I usually go to the bass pro up by festival bay on international drive. Thanks for the tip.
    Thank for all the tips.
    I do intend to buy in bulk, but tell me...each recipe is specific of a powder, primer, casing and bullet. Do people generally find a recipe they like and run with it or change from one recipe to another recipe alot. Seems to be a lot of bulk buying. Seeing as how I'm novice, I intend to follow the recipe by the book.
    Last edited by gogetal3; 08-24-09 at 16:12.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Exactly what markm said. Get the ABC's of reloading. It's a good read.

There is quite a bit more stuff to know when it comes to reloading rifle.

Do a search on youtube for Dillon setup videos then check back here with any questions.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    Exactly what markm said. Get the ABC's of reloading. It's a good read.

There is quite a bit more stuff to know when it comes to reloading rifle.

Do a search on youtube for Dillon setup videos then check back here with any questions.

youtube was fantastic watched it last night. I'm in no hurry. Starting with .40 cal first. Bought Lyman 49th ed. I do want to get the ABCs of reloading.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I forgot to answer your question about reloading suppliers:

MidwayUSA, Wideners, and Powder Valley are the ones I use most.

For 40 I shoot a lot of Rainier plated bullets.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    shortages are quite apparant for reloading.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I generally buy powder and primers locally to avoid HazMat charges, though lately this has been difficult.

I get enough brass at my local club and never have to buy any. For pistol bullets, I use http://www.rozedist.com. For rifle bullets, I usually buy bulk from http://www.grafs.com.

About load development for the 5.56 - I tried several different combinations and settled on one. Now I buy the components for this in bulk and load the same combination 1000 rounds at a time. I do the same for pistol loads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast