Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W SW9VE Front Sight Issue..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

S&W SW9VE Front Sight Issue..

Has anyone else run across this? I got a great deal on this last spring and didn't notice the offset until after purchase. Question is, since the slide is cnc would the hole cut for front sight be centered and it's just that the plastic sight moved during the weld?

If it's just the sight I'll replace. The recessed surround underside looks centered, but then also the sight weld also. Any suggestions (other than sell it) appreciated..

On top of that, my S&W M&P 15OR gas block is out of align and I can't zero windage in a reasonable range. It's in right now for repairs. I would think S&W would check these things before ship.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    First, the Sigma is a piece of KaKa, I wouldn't own one, but to each his own.

I have been to the armorer school for them though. The pic shows what is likely just a blob of plastic from the bottom of the sight. The front sights, metal or tritium, screw in from underneath just like most of the Glock sights. In fact in my experience, a Glock front sight will fit on a Sigma.

Ref the AR, give them a call. S&W has about the best customer service of any of the large gun companies. In my experience they are excellent at fixing issues, for free and in a timely manner.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does your pistol shoot straight? If so, what's the big deal?

If not, drift the rear sight.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It does shoot straight. I did drift the rear sight to remedy. I got a great deal on the sigma. It's not an m&p, but it's not crap. Other than the sight alignment, there hasn't been any issues with it.

I've been talking to S&W, they have the rifle now for repairs. S&W service was one of the reasons I purchased their AR.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ok, I retract the "not crap" opinion.. I stopped out to see Grant today, he gave me some history about the sigma.. nice to know, a little late, but nice to know. I actually may have one of the better ones minus the sight issue.. no misfires or other issues. I'll send the slide into S&W for them to fix or replace.

I'm going to save my pennies and stop out to see Grant and get an M&P 9.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Before I condemn any particular firearm to the crap pile, I do my own assesment of it.

I've been told 3rd Generation S&W pistols are crap, and the Value Line versions (915/910/410) even more so.

Well, 1500 rounds or so after, my 915 has been brick solid reliable, very accurate, with a killer SA trigger reset, and I shoot it just as well as my M&Ps.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We run 320 folks with guns here at my job, so I get to see a somewhat larger sample than some folks.

The 3rd gen S&Ws 9mms are very reliable and durable guns, we had right at 20 years of solid service from those guns.

The Sigmas are not reliable or durable. Our rangemaster at the time tried to transition the new guys to the Sigma, and a few other guys either volunteered or bought their own, we had about 150 of them on the road, for awhile. At about the same time we had issues here with our Sigmas the KCMOPD also had problems with their Sigmas (in .40).

I wouldn't own a Sigma, ever.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Agree on the S&W 3rd Gen. The Rodney Dangerfield of the pistol world and a hell of a good handgun, IMO.

Can list a quick summary of the most common Sigma failures? Just to satisfy my curiosity.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I didn't know the history of this handgun and got bit by the price tag. I figured S&W, has to be reliable. If Glock sued S&W for the design, do they have similar issues with the G17? I know the trigger is different, not sure about the rest. I'd like to see some failure examples also. I'll keep mine as a back up and get an M&P 9.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We had issues with striker breakage (epidemic that was), extractor breakage, fails to extract, fails to eject, this weird trigger/trigger bar defect where the trigger pull would get longer and longer until the trigger would eventually hit the frame and the striker still had not been released to fire the round.

I know a guy in KC who was in the middle of a felony car stop when he heard a strange noise and realized it was the bottom of his magazine in his Sigma .40 popping off, and all the mag guts and rounds dumping onto the street.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast