Thread: Cut Down SBR Barrels

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cut Down SBR Barrels

I have a Colt 6920 that I'm registering as an SBR. I was wondering how reliable my upper would be if I had ADCO cut it down to 11.5" and open the gas port if needed? Has anyone else done this and had great results? I'm not questioning ADCO's work, but I would like to know if buying a stock BCM 11.5" upper would be more reliable? I don't want to end up with something that's going to be finicky when I could've just bought a reliable factory upper from BCM.
    We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training.

-Archilochus

Feedback Score
    Did this with a light weight Colt barrel, with ADCO, but down to 12.5". Had them do their cut down for a silencer, as such the barrel as I received it wa not 100% reliable with wally world green box remmy (under powered) but was 100% with xm193 (I do not have the can yet). Email them and they said that since I had asked for it to be setup for a can they had not opend up the port as much as someone that was only looking for a SBR. They then offered to open the port up for me at no charge if I was not happy. They did mention that their experience was that as the barrel was shot-in more that I would, more than likely, see it start running with the under powered stuff too. I told them that I was Ok with it as is and continued to run it. After about 200-300 rounds (what I consider the normal break-in period) it is now running 100%.
    Since I asked for it to be setup for a silencer and they had set it up that way, I did not think that they had to offer to make it right, but they did so without any asking on my part. I think that says something about them.

In a actions speak louder that words statement: What do I think of ADCO? I have since used them to thread my KAC SR-25 for a AAC SCAR-H

Use them with confidence.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have no question as to ADCO's work. I actually had them cut down my 6920 barrel in question to 14.5" and they did a fantastic job. My only concern is if cut down barrels will be as reliable as factory barrels when you get down to the shorter lengths?
    We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training.

-Archilochus

Feedback Score
    I would say so. Like I say mine is 100% now. I have no doubt that if I would have said make it run with Wolf or better ammo that it would have been 100% from the beginning.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    If it's cut correctly, and the gas port is opened to the correct size, it is for all purposes no different than a factory SBR barrel.

For the money, you're probably better off buying a new upper and selling the 6920 upper. Unless it's a brand new rifle, why bother dumping money into modifying the barrel that already has a part of its life used?
    --Josh H.