Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Status of Strider Knives?

Feedback Score

Status of Strider Knives?

I don't keep up on knife news much so excuse me if this has been beaten to death. Can someone clarify the status of Strider and what went on between Strider Knives and TAG Gear? I was directed to this thread http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bi...c;f=8;t=000555a while ago, and reading the praise of Strider in another thread here brought it back.

A knife like that is an investment and I'd like to know who I've invested with. Anyone here have the no-nonsense news?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Man, I did not know that stuff about him...here I thought he was an ex-marine.
    Regardless he may be a liar but his knives are sweet and he is a patriot giving a military discount that saved me $70!
    Just remember you are not buying the man...just his tools. Besides, maybe as an felon I didn't think people would be willing to pay for his art.

I have met Chris Osmond- and I could say a few things about his negative business practices also.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    deleted
    Last edited by baffle Stack; 02-01-15 at 16:33.

Feedback Score
    Mick Strider is one of my closest friends. To put that in perspective, I have been a full time cop for 19 years, and my list of friends with a felony conviction is exactly 1-Mick Strider. Mick is one of the few people who I allow around my kid. Mick did in fact serve with the Army Rangers. He has the DD214 to prove it, numerous Rangers who served with him, and it seems that the Ranger community has no issue with his claims-just a bunch of guys like Kevin McClung, Lance Harris, and Lynn Thompson who have never served in any L/E or Military capacity, yet feel the need to "out" those who did. Its called envy and regret. Did Mick do other "stuff" after seperation from the military due to an injury-yes. Some positive, some negative. There is often more to many stories, and this is one of them. In the many years I have known Mick, I have never heard him make a single public claim of anything other than his Army service and Ranger background.

Many folks confuse Mick with Duane Dwyer, the co-owner of Strider knives. He is a confirmed former USMC Scout/Sniper (he has also been accused of being a fake and felon by the same crowd, I guess they always allow fakes to give speeches at S/S graduations). Duane is also a reserve Police Officer and serves on a SRT unit (we always give ex-felons badges). He also has experience outside of normal military service. Duane does far more shows and appearances than Mick. He is actually the one most have seen or spoken to at events, and he is very proud of his USMC background and loves to talk. The guy at the table drinking beer and claiming to be a marine Sniper is in fact Duane and not Mick for all the internet know it alls.

I am going to be running Strider's L/E division, which should also make me a fraud, felon, and wannabe as well.

Chris Osmand............seems to have some issues of his own, and I'll leave it at that.

I always find it amusing in this whole thing that these "posers" are genuine rock stars within the military special operations community, yet a bunch of civilians and internet heroes are the ones throwing the most stones. I have been to several events within the most elite warrior communities in this country and seen with my own eyes the admiration and praise given to both Mick and Duane. Not because they make great war tools, its because of the other things they have done to support the military and L/E community that is never talked about or advertised.

I am the one who wrote the article about Strider and their SOCOM connection. It was in error that it was actually JSOC (which later became a SOCOM asset as I understand it). I can accept that I am not perfect, but it is sort of insane to hammer Mick and Duane for a mistake I made in a 7 year old article in a annual gun rag. Anyone who knows Mick knows that he is very quiet, is not a braggert, is proud of the time he spent as a Ranger, and isn't proud of his mistakes. The guy makes a great product. Their knives are 100% made in the USA with domestic materials. They go out of their way to service the military and L/E community as their #1 priority, and run a business with several veterans employed in key positions. If that isn't good enough to compete with the internet envy and whining crap, then I highly suggest getting a knife from one of the "knife fighter", former CIA (yeah right) Action Jacksons that are trying to save us all from Mick.
    "Cpl ##### is condescending and abrassive towards coworks who don't follow directions" my favorite evaluation quote........if I'm like that at work, you should see me on the internet .

"Even if I order you to trim your mustache, you're going to totally ignore me, huh".-another favorite supervisor "discussion".

Feedback Score
    Although we have spoken on the telephone several times, I do not know Mick personally, so I cannot directly vouch for him like NYETI can. On the other hand, I do know Duane from visits to SOTG, Range 130, Camp Pendleton; as NYETI states, Duane is a former Marine and current LE officer with impeccable credentials. Strider makes durable, reliable gear that works well for hard-use military and LE duties. You can purchase and use Striders without any concerns...

Feedback Score
    Once more the errornet is full of conjecture, suppositions, myths and lies, jumping to non existent conclusions and with- like all legends, some truth thrown in.

FWIW, i have known Mick and Duane for a long time, and when they were making a few knives a month in the back of a storefront in Oceanside. From my very first meeting with them at Longboards, they were open about everything and held back nothing, leaving it to me to make decisions.

I have first hand knowledge about what Mick and Duane have done for the user community- the real users. They have donated a tremendous amount of time, money and product to ensure that real guys who have fallen have been honored appropriately and that guys going out to fight the war that most only have nocturnal emissions about when they do dress up role play in the privacy of their domicile.
    As examples of the former, the Strider guys provided spectacularly done memorial knives/ shadow boxed for the Marines and Sailor of 1st Force killed in a helo crash in 1999. They wanted no mention of this then or now, but it is remembered by the families and the Company.
    Or the extraordinarily well done plaque given to the men of my Brother's Company, Squad 1, whose members were all killed by islamofacists on a beautiful Tuesday morning five years ago. The men of the Squad have stated that this is the one gift that they received that stands out from all others.
    Or the fact that Strider donates knives to the Sniper School Graduates as well as selected Rangers. Funny how neither the Marine Corps or Rangers- two groups of very tough hombres -have any problems, but do nothing neverbe's can make criticisms. I guess maybe you would have to be recruited by the CIA at age 5 to really understand the why's and wherefore's of that.
    Yup, Mick made horrible mistakes. He has admitted that and moved on. Duane is a reserve cop and SRT member and cotinues to add community service to his list of accomplishments.
    Grant has been asking Strider to allow him to carry their knive for years. Duane called me up a few months ago and asked me if i would recommend Grant. I did, and that is apparently happening.
    So, are you going to stop buying from G&R? Stop posting here?

The disinformation cowpath means that everyone has opinions. Often these opinions mean that people shoot from the lip rather then make informed decisions.
    The erronet has been described where a place where people who have nothing to say, say it anyway.
    Sooooo true.
    I have many acquaintences and fewer friends. Mick and Duane are friends.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I suspect that us "little people" will never know the truth of any of this, and I as one little person don't care. I picked up my first Strider (a model DB) at SHOT and am very impressed with it. I buy products, not the person, and don't really care about any of the drama behind the scenes.

With that said, it is always unfortunate to see business owners that can't just zip it on the web. It's no secret that I've had my fair share of bannings for speaking my mind on the internet, but if I were running a business that was tied to my "internet persona" and my livelihood depended on it, you can bet your ass I'd bite my "tongue". Paul Leitner-Wise, Dick Swan of ARMS, some of the AAC guys, and others spring to mind as people who's internet actions have only served to hurt their business. It is unfortunate that this whole Strider/TAG drama appears to stem from neither camp being able to restrain themselves on the internet.

I find the Gem Tech crowd to be an especially welcome breath of fresh air in the way that they conduct themselves on the web. Despite being bashed on more than one occasion by owners and employees of other companies, they still hold their head up and rise above it. Even when attacked and provoked, they prove to be the bigger men time and time again.

Feedback Score
    You might note that the DB is named for Moderator Nyeti. It is also one of my favorite knives.
    FWIW, the DB-L is part of the USMC IAK, and one of several Stider products with NSN's..

Feedback Score
    Nyeti-
    A LE line? Do share info.

Erick

Feedback Score
    I don't have as diverse a professional portfolio as Pat Rogers, DocGKR, or nyeti. I am only a paratrooper and Non Commissioned Officer in the US Army looking at my 4th deployment in 6 years. I do not know, nor have I ever even met, spoke with, etc., Mick or Duane. What I do know is that they put out a superior product that I trust my life to. Two men who I have had the opportunity to train with and pass along the skills they taught me to my paratroopers, speak quite highly of Strider knives. One of them, Pat Rogers, has already made his thoughts known in this thread. The other is Paul Howe. I'd be willing to bet that neither of these men, given their backgrounds and clientele, would recommend a substandard product. I have no issues with recommending Strider knives to my soldiers. I want them to have a tool that will not fail them when they need it.
    As someone else said, you're buying the tool, not the man. He paid his debt to society.

Now my only issue with Strider knives, loose one and you'll find one way a man can go into post partum depression.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast