Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Easy way to zero your rifle

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian1/75 View Post
    Just curious how much does sight height start to effect things, such as adding a 1 in riser to a RDS or the difference between say a PEQ-15 and your EOtech? I wish more of this thread was in meters too
    It's only really an issue at close ranges when getting waaaaaay too precise at 25. Past that, 1/10 of an inch won't make much difference, but it's always better to use the most technically correct data if only to maintain credibility.

A PEQ15 has a distinctly different offset profile. I use 10-meter laser boresight targets and shoot at 25, 100, and 200 meters, with a 200 meter preferred zero.

I also prefer to work in meters, so at the bottom of the JBM calculator I click the "Ranges in Meters" box.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian1/75 View Post
    Just curious how much does sight height start to effect things
    I just got through punching through two variations, charted with a sight-height difference of .3" (difference between an absolute and lwr-1/3 hight RDS mount), and produced about 2.25" of difference at 400yd.

Usual disclaimers, RE: ballparking, and the extreme variation in terms of what any given individual would consider a "significant difference." To me, that's not a big deal.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    This is why I love the KAC 600M Micro sight. It has a Z marking on the sight that you set it to for zeroing at 25M. Then you set the sight to the 200M mark and you are good to go for out to 200M. The Z mark is lower than the 200M. So what this target does is the same thing.

It sets the POI about 2 inches or so below the POA so that when you aim at a 100yd target it becomes POA/POI.
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    Paterno is about as innocent as Eric Holder in F&F...
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I don't have an issue with reviving a necropost. It's much better than 30 new lube threads every week.

Feedback Score
    so at whatever you sight it in at, just aim for the neck and your good?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post
    so at whatever you sight it in at, just aim for the neck and your good?
    Not sure I am following. . .
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Could I use this same target with my Rem 700 at 25 yards? No super mega precision needed, just a deer hunting rifle. Most kills are ~100 yards. Literally just bought a new optic for it today. Haven't mounted it on yet.
    Last edited by Joethe33; 01-03-12 at 12:41.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Your sight-height is gonna be fairly radically lower, and most of these "aim here/bullets should land there" targets are designed around the AR pattern guns sight-heights, not that of a bolt-gun. Without shooting to distance, and on a target that allows you to plot strikes, you'll only realistically know where your round is hitting at 25. The take-away from all of this is that, whenever possible, one should shoot to distance and confirm whatever zero you decide upon. Otherwise, you're just guessing, and it's generally better to know than it is to guess.

That's where these ballistics calculators come in; you punch in data specific to your gun's configuration, what ammo you're using, and you can reasonably plot what a given bullet's gonna do.

So, if you know the height-over-bore of whatever sighting system you'll use, the ballistic coefficient for the round you're gonna use, the muzzle-velocity of the round you're gonna use as it comes out of your barrel (a MV printed on ammo boxes may be based upon something other than what you have), you can take....or, more accurately, let the software take...some reasonable guesses. Then, you can plan accordingly for when you start pulling the trigger.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    Print this target. Aim for the bottom of the triangle at 25 yards. Group your shots in the circle for a 100 yard zero.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86...5MeterZero.jpg

I have found this to be very useful.

Sorry for the necro-post but am curious if anyone has a printable link for this original target? I used them in them past but can't find a full size, printable link anymore...

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sva01 View Post
    Sorry for the necro-post but am curious if anyone has a printable link for this original target? I used them in them past but can't find a full size, printable link anymore...

Thanks!
    Can't help you there but here is another option that has worked well for me:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...t-EOTech-etc-)
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There is a sticky in the M4C->Tactical Gear->Optics & Mounts forum with excellent useful targets that can simply be downloaded and printed.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...t-EOTech-etc-)

Go ^ here to get targets like this:
    Attachment 45603
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 05-15-17 at 10:57.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789