Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy way to zero your rifle

Feedback Score
    I get the picture..

thats a great illustration also, after seeing that it is kind of hard not to get.
    Last edited by rolltide13; 08-10-10 at 12:56.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
    Not to pick nits but for someone having trouble with this concept, terminology may be important.

The projectile never "rises" to your line of sight, it starts falling the moment it leaves the bore.
    along the line of nitpicking, I don't think this is always true.

If the optic centerline and the bullseye centerline are in a straight, horizontal, line from one another then the projectile has to rise to get there.

Also while on the subject of nitpicking I don't believe it's possible to technically have a 25 yard or a 75 yard "zero" as the zero is the second intersection not the first. A 100 yard zero is almost possible because it winds up being pretty much the apex of the curve.
    Last edited by rob_s; 08-10-10 at 12:55.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    along the line of nitpicking, I don't think this is always true.

If the optic centerline and the bullseye centerline are in a straight, horizontal, line from one another then the projectile has to rise to get there.

Also while on the subject of nitpicking I don't believe it's possible to technically have a 25 yard or a 75 yard "zero" as the zero is the second intersection not the first. A 100 yard zero is almost possible because it winds up being pretty much the apex of the curve.

Rob_s Yep, see the edit. I was getting confounded typing on the iPhone and had to switch to the computer to finish.
    My fear is that ahh, the whole island will ahh, become so overly populated, that it will tip over and ahh, and capsize...
    Hank Johnson (D) GA YouTube

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    rob_s I wholeheartedly agree that the far distance is the zero. That’s the distance you want to fine tune and get it solid, as any inaccuracy at the near distance will be magnified at the far end.

Also if someone picks a 50-225 zero for their use, gets it good at 50, and then has opportunity to fine tune it and get it solid at 225. They shouldn’t be surprised if it is now off a bit at 50... As pointed out the far distance is your zero. That near distance may be off a bit given your particular load or conditions. It's true intersection may be 45 or 53 yards. The flip side is true as well. If you never work on a solid zero at the far intersection, well than the near intersection is your zero. The far distance would be the estimate that could vary (possibly significantly- that’s why you need to zero at the far end).

Zero to me is point of aim/point of impact. If you never get it solid at the far distance than you don’t have a zero at that distance.
    My fear is that ahh, the whole island will ahh, become so overly populated, that it will tip over and ahh, and capsize...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    ...I don't believe it's possible to technically have a 25 yard or a 75 yard "zero" as the zero is the second intersection not the first. A 100 yard zero is almost possible because it winds up being pretty much the apex of the curve.
    ===========================

Good point. Never really thought about it.

Thinking out loud...I wonder what the closest and furthest zero with a “normal” 5.56 round can be with “normal” sights?

Rob_S, Like you say, a 100 yard “might” be possible but I doubt there is that much adjustment in the front sight. Just guessing, you'd probably have to cross the los about 17-18 yards or so to be dead-on at 100 yards...heck... thinking about it some more...it might be something like 80 yards...?

Wonder if anyone has seen the closest and furthest zeros?

Last edited by ucrt; 08-10-10 at 13:49. Reason: Clarity

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I would think that with a "normal" A2 type sight you could get a fairly close "near zero"- with a fixed elevation like a troy, not as much (but the fsp does screw down pretty far). But, with iron sights it would be difficult to fine tune the associated "far zero" so all you would realistically have zeroed is the near.
    Last edited by Luke_Y; 08-10-10 at 14:26.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I dont agree with the idea that the "Far" zero is always the "True" Zero. I still say that the 50 yard zero and the 200 yard zero are two separate methods of zeroing your AR. Most of the instructors I know of who espouse a 50 yard zero do so for its value at "urban" engagement distances. I have not yet trained with him, but I dont think Pat Rogers has his students go out to 200 yards to dial their zero in at that distance. With a true 50 yard zero, you will have a second "zero" @ approximately 225yards +/-

In his articles in SWAT and posts on the forums, he commonly refers to his zero method as a "50/200 zero", which technically it is not. It sounds like he uses a "True" 50 yard zero. I may be nit-picking a bit here as-well, but there is a difference and it needs to be understood. Im sure Pat Rogers understands the difference, he just likes to keep things as simple as possible for teaching purposes.

Others who espouse the 200 yard zero do it as has already been explained above. They use the 50yard zero as a field expedient method to get close at 200, and then they go out to 200 and dial it in there. They then check where their POI is @ 50 for reference.

So basically there are 3 common "Zeros" used/promoted by the vast majority of instructors and operators out there today: The 50 yard zero, the 100 yard zero, and the 200 yard zero.

For the record, I prefer a "True" 100 yard zero.
    Last edited by nickdrak; 08-10-10 at 15:03. Reason: clarification

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    i like 50 yard zero because I dont like the 10" hold-under on the 25 yard zero at longer distances. Its only 2" with a 50 yard zero, essentially point and shoot

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post
    ===========================

Rob_S, Like you say, a 100 yard “might” be possible but I doubt there is that much adjustment in the front sight.

Think again.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=328143
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    I dont agree with the idea that the "Far" zero is always the "True" Zero.
    I'm not an expert on this, but those that I think are would disagree with you. Your statement to me reads like "I don't agree with the idea that earth only has one moon".

Second crossing point is the zero, as it has been explained to me.

I also think you misunderstand Pat's methods and reasons. I've trained with him 4 times (I think, it might be 5) and have been through his "zero" process every time. Calling it a zero process is gracious as I think Pat would agree. He's getting people that show up to class all ****ed up to a point that they can be workable for the next three days and move on to other things. His priorities and methodologies are different than Randy's that I explained above. Not better or worse just different.

I have never shot at 200 yards in a Pat Rogers class despite being at a facility that goes out to 300+.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast