Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of condensing my pistol collection

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thinking of condensing my pistol collection

Need some opinions here. I don't consider myself a collector. My guns are ones I'll be using, not just taking up space in the safe. So I'm considering condensing down what I have.

My "go to" handguns are Glock 19s and Smith J frames. I've been tossing up the idea of getting another G26 (had several in the past) and I have a M&P .45 when I feel the need to go "big".

I've considered selling/trading off the others, all DA/SA. They just sit around and go the range occasionally. I'd never consider carrying them anymore.

How many of you have done something similar and did you regret it any?
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    I did something similar towards the end of last year and the beginning of this year. I ditched the striker fired weapons (Glocks and M&Ps) and went all DA/SA with my Sigs and HKs. Do I regret the decision, no. It is better to focus on one trigger platform in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    It is better to focus on one trigger platform in my opinion.
    My thought too. I'm also wanting to keep my calibers to 9mm, .38Spl., and the occasional .45ACP.
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Whatcha got for sale?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Right now, a G23 that a coworker is supposed to be buying, a 228R (not sure on this one yet, kinda like having one USGI representative), and a S&W 4506-1.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cathellsk View Post
    Right now, a G23 that a coworker is supposed to be buying, a 228R (not sure on this one yet, kinda like having one USGI representative), and a S&W 4506-1.
    No offense meant, but if that is the list, then yes sell them.

M_P

Feedback Score
    I have gone through the phase of clearing out stuff twice in the past and probably will do the same thing again in the future. After a while the collection can expand and there are certain items that almost never get used unless a friend wants to try something. I see nothing wrong with selling firearms that make it to the range once in a blue moon. To me, it's an indication of how little interest the shooter has in actually using it.

Right now, I'm toying with the idea of selling a rifle that I rarely shoot. There's nothing wrong with it. It's a good battle rifle. I like the design a lot. That's the reason I bought it. Unfortunately, it's simply one of those things where I am not using the rifle very often. It has become sort of an expensive paper weight because I prefer to take other stuff to the range.

Generally, I don't regret selling the firearms I have sold in the past. Of the stuff I have owned, only one has made it back to my possession after selling it to a friend who begged and pleaded for the item before changing his mind after owning it for several months. I repurchased it and about a month later he wanted to buy it back and I declined. I told him to buy one from someone else because I didn't want to have to buy it back a second time after he changed his mind again.

Aside from that, I think the only one, that I'd even be halfway interested in reacquiring was the first pistol I won money with at a match. -Purely nostalgia, not because I actually "need" it.

Feedback Score
    I thinned out my 1911s down to just two. I got rid of the regular production stuff for ammo and reloading components.

Regrets, none. Ive gotten better at using what I got then if Id kept all of them.

I dont see much of a need for a collection of uncollectable firearms. I mean if you have DA/SA or S/A stuff you love to take to the range and mess around with then yeah keep them. But if youve settled on striker fired stuff anyone would be better with them if they spent the money on ammo and training rather than collecting stuff that will never be worth anything.

Feedback Score
    I used to burn with regrets when I was still chasing one of this and one of that. In recent years I'm shooting vastly more and focusing more on a basic battery of Glock 9mm's and ARs. The regret for the long departed S&W Registered Magnum is now dimmed. It was a work of gun making art but for what purpose? I have no use for a 48 oz .357.

Of your list, I've encountered so many rapid 4506 fans I'd hold onto that one me thinks. Others I'd flip.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Of all the three you mention, if I were you I'd keep the S&W.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 09-01-09 at 17:53.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast