Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of condensing my pistol collection

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the thoughts guys. I probably will keep the 4506-1, I'm a rabid fan of them too, even though they weigh a ton it shoots amazingly and is very reliable. I've been going back and forth with the 228R but all the talk of SIGs quality lately keeps turning me off to it. The 23 will be easy to off load, all the other handguns are G19s and J frames (Centennial no locks). Can't wait to see what these new interchangeable backstrap models look like at SHOT. I'd also like to get a RTF2 version if and when it ever comes out.
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I've been condensing for a while now... it's basically become 9mm Glocks and 1911 .45 (one railed, one "traditional"), and a S&W .357 and .22 Ruger for plinking. Also decided to keep a Walther P38 with authentic German holster, and a compact Walther .25 model, then decided to hold onto the Ruger Mark II 22/45 and a Sig P226 (W. German model)... Ah cuss, I'll just keep rocking a collection. Condensing is futile.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beebo View Post
    Ah cuss, I'll just keep rocking a collection. Condensing is futile.
    Most people don't really need to condense the "collection" as much as most people need to condense with what they practice and train. Keep all those guns, but try to master one of them for the next 12 months.

Dry fire it
    Range fire it
    Training fire it
    Acquire spares and magazines for it

Do you doubt that will make a difference in your shooting?

M_P
    Last edited by Business_Casual; 09-02-09 at 08:18.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Good clarification, M_P. I guess I should have stopped by stating I've only been shooting 9mm Glocks, mostly a 19, and a SA customized Loaded 1911. I've found it's useful to keep guns around for a couple of different calibers, though, as I find folks with little shooting experience appreciate an intro to different style guns and different calibers, then encouragement in one direction or another based on what they were able to shoot. But yes, you are very correct in saying we should be focusing on one platform, learning it, shooting it, mastering it, and then if we want to pick up another type, we can go for it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beebo View Post
    Good clarification, M_P. I guess I should have stopped by stating I've only been shooting 9mm Glocks, mostly a 19, and a SA customized Loaded 1911.
    So you are ignoring my suggestion

But yes, you are very correct in saying we should be focusing on one platform, learning it, shooting it, mastering it, and then if we want to pick up another type, we can go for it.
    But you are saying you agree with me

M_P

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_pirate View Post
    Most people don't really need to condense the "collection" as much as most people need to condense with what they practice and train. Keep all those guns, but try to master one of them for the next 12 months.

Dry fire it
    Range fire it
    Training fire it
    Acquire spares and magazines for it

Do you doubt that will make a difference in your shooting? M_P
    Excellent point, and worthy of repeating.

There's nothing wrong with owning a lot of guns. The problem arises when you dilute your training time, muscle memory, and overall skill with one by spreading it too thin throughout a varied inventory.

For those who use guns for critical tasks, it's especially important. For those who are gun owners (vice shooters), it's less so.

That being said, I've refined my collection by types and calibers, and have only a few others as exemplars for teaching/demo/etc.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    M_P,

I'm not ignoring the suggestion. I think it puts a nail in the coffin of this thread. I've shot the 19 almost exclusively, and it's my carry. Only recently did I start putting trigger time behind the 1911. I've got other handguns, but hardly any ammo for them, as those don't get shot, unless, like Skintop says, it's for teaching/demo. Sorry if that wasn't conveyed effectively.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12