Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why won't SSA sell 6.8 AP to the public?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    You nailed it.

All it takes is for someone to make a barrel for a T/C Encore in 6.8mm, or an AR pistol in 6.8mm and that then catagorizes 6.8mm SPC as a handgun caliber, in which case AP ammo is illegal for civillians.
    That is REALLY bizarre; I had never heard that the mere existence of a pistol-type weapon in an existing caliber is enough to automatically push the AP ammo in that caliber into the "illegal" category. To me that illustrates how inconsistent and generally F'd up some of the gun laws in this country are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    You nailed it.

All it takes is for someone to make a barrel for a T/C Encore in 6.8mm, or an AR pistol in 6.8mm and that then catagorizes 6.8mm SPC as a handgun caliber, in which case AP ammo is illegal for civillians.
    That was my understanding as well, but I would think that somebody, at some point has made a T/C type gun in 30.06 as well. And then there are the absurd, "Birdman Weapons Systems" .50BMG pistols as well...

Perhaps there was some ATF ruling that grandfathered those calibers for AP ammo, or overlooked what few pistols might exist for those two calibers.
    Last edited by dbrowne1; 09-02-09 at 15:39.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXSUT View Post
    Given the overly litigious nature of our society, I wouldn't sell AP ammo to the public either, lawful or not.

Sounds about right.
    John Noveske Changed My Life.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrowne1 View Post
    That was my understanding as well, but I would think that somebody, at some point has made a T/C type gun in 30.06 as well. And then there are the absurd, "Birdman Weapons Systems" .50BMG pistols as well...

Perhaps there was some ATF ruling that grandfathered those calibers for AP ammo, or overlooked what few pistols might exist for those two calibers.
    There are indeed, TC barrels for .30-'06, and that is why you won't find anyone manufacturing or importing AP .30-'06 to sell to civies. As for surplus, there is no license required to sell ammo, and thus no Federal restriction on its sale.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12