Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Progressive Press setup

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hound_va View Post
    I've been loading on a 650 for a long time with no problems, but I'm not slamming the handle in either direction in an effort to go fast. A 650 goes plenty fast just using the casefeed tube, and even faster using the casefeeder so inattention to technique in an effort to go faster is not a good solution and usually leads to lots of problems on any press.
    I think you are on the right track, just take it slow and smooth

I have a 550B that has given me years of good service at about 2500 rounds a year. I use it for a pistol as well as 223, 308, and 30-06. The rifle calibers are sized on a RCBS Rock Chucker then I trim them with a Lee kit.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hound_va View Post
    The primer which is being "mashed" by the punch on a 650 and setting off a chain up into the tube has been documented on the BE forums. The disc does not provide enough isolation from the next primer in the chain to the tube and hence the chain goes up and into the tube. That said, steady pressure on a primer is not what sets them off. It's a fast impact that sets them off. That's the reason that some folks feel it is safe to, and actually do, decap brass with live primers. Slamming the handle on primers in the quest for speed isn't a particularly comforting way to handle primers to me. I've been loading on a 650 for a long time with no problems, but I'm not slamming the handle in either direction in an effort to go fast. A 650 goes plenty fast just using the casefeed tube, and even faster using the casefeeder so inattention to technique in an effort to go faster is not a good solution and usually leads to lots of problems on any press.
    interesting. Guess I've always been doing it "right" in making deliberate and smooth motions. You can go fast doing so without impacting primers.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    You can unload a gun without flipping the round into the air and trying to catch it also, but that is not the IPSC way. Complacency leads to lack of respect which leads to accidents. Shooting and reloading are both areas I have too much repect for to hotdog or be careless.

YMMV
    Last edited by oregonshooter; 09-04-09 at 18:20.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The MANUAL indexing of the 550 is the ONLY way I'd load. Those little hickups are inherent in reloading and it is indeed nice to be able to fix an issue and keep on.

Feedback Score
    about reloading .223 on a progressive press. is it not necessary to check for OAL on the fired case and trim to length? not critical?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwcatman View Post
    about reloading .223 on a progressive press. is it not necessary to check for OAL on the fired case and trim to length? not critical?
    What would lead you to believe that? A press is a press, regardless of it's method of operation. Reloading principles, whether on a single stage, turret, or progressive are the same. You may be able to trim using an unused hole on a turret or progressive, but if you're not measuring your brass and occasionally trimming to the correct length, then you're going to eventually either hurt your equipment or yourself. Where you trim, on press or off press makes no difference, but it still has to be done from time to time.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwcatman View Post
    Most reloaders resize and decap on a completely separate operation. A lot of brass requires crimp removal anyway. So unless you have that Dillon 1050, you're progressive rifle reloading isnt done all in one pass like pistol ammo.

I reload from my bags of resized, cleaned, decrimped, trim(if needed), and primed brass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12