Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CZ-75 vs Browning Hi Power?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

CZ-75 vs Browning Hi Power?

I know next to nothing about either gun, but I'm in the mood for an all steel 9mm pistol. I'm looking at either a CZ-75 B SA (single action full size) or a Browning Mk III.

I DID shoot a NRA basic pistol course using my dad's Hi Power back in college (I needed a single credit hour to remain full time) and liked the HP, but that's all I know.

All opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Jason

Feedback Score
    I have both and like both, if I could only have one it would the cz.

Feedback Score
    If you like to tweak then the CZ hands down. The CZ trigger has far more potential, and a very active aftermarket.

Feedback Score
    I am reverse from the first two replies. I've owned both as well, I do not have an urge for another CZ (don't get me wrong, they are very good pistols) but I miss my Hi-Power dearly. The CZ does offer many more factory options but I would say the Hi-Power can be tuned to a finer level by a good smith. For me personally the Hi-Power is a much better fit in the hand, the CZ feels like a big, heavy gun (and it is) where the BHP is easy to carry CCW for myself.

The CZ truly is a classic.

The BHP is an ultra classic.

Check out Brownell's selection on the BHP, they can be turned into a truly slick custom.

I am not knocking the CZ in any way, I actually like it a lot, I just prefer the BHP by a big margin.

Either way you should get a very good gun.

Good luck.

Feedback Score

Exclamation

Damn, somebody get the Pop-Corn!

Feedback Score
    I have both and like both. -The CZ's stock single action trigger seems a little spongy to me but I have heard it can be cleaned up a bit. The Browning Hi-Power needs its magazine safety disconnect removed to improve the trigger.

As has been said, the aftermarket support for the CZ seems greater. The CZ Custom shop at Ghost Holster has a bunch of stuff. You should look and see what some of your options are.

http://www.ghostholster.com/

http://czcustom.com/index.aspx

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have both and like both...a lot.

If I had an unlimited amount of money I would own nothing but full custom BHPs.

But I don't, so I'm happy with my 1 BHP with a little work done to it. Out of the box I would pick a CZ over a BHP.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by geminidglocker View Post
    Damn, somebody get the Pop-Corn!
    Why is that?

I could understand that attitude if I had asked a done-to-death or apples-to-oranges question like ".45 vs 9mm?"

However:

1. These are two guns that don't get a lot of discussion time
    2. They are similar in that they are both double stack, steel-frame, 9mm pistols (a vanishing breed)
    3. They are two guns I am interested in but know little about.
    4. I did a search and didn't find a lot of info on either on the forum.

Jason
    Last edited by RAM Engineer; 09-04-09 at 07:01.

Feedback Score
    I have had several of both and I really would buy a 9mm 1911 instead of either the CZ of Hi-power

I really like 9mm 1911's

Mike

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I feel that the CZ-75 is a product improved Hi Power.

I've owned multiple examples of both over the years, and vastly prefer the CZ. Part of that is that my wookie paws are just too big for the FN's grip. The hammer spur on a Hi Power just chews me up. The CZ has a longer grip and a is more ergonomic for me.

The CZ also uses a slide that rides inside the frame, which they adapted from the SIG P210. At the time the CZ was introduced, that was revolutionary.

I vastly prefer the older, pre-B CZ's manufactured in good 'ol days of the Cold War. They honestly seem to be better made. Maybe not better finished, but better made. If you get one of the older guns that were made prior to the firing pin lock, you can get a double action pull close to a nice S&W K frame revolver.

If you're looking strictly at the single action only design, I'm not as crazy about the placement of the extended safety on the CZ, and you'll probably want to put a steel trigger in the pistol.

The CZ's took the world outside the US by storm in the late 70's through the 90's, replacing many worn out FN P-35's in government inventories around the world.

Jeff Cooper was a fan, 'nuff said.

Last edited by TOrrock; 09-04-09 at 08:59.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast